Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires. Wider is better??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:55 AM
1320go
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Well said Mark.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dynafrom818
Correct me if I am wrong, but in 06, the tires on Dynas got wider?

1. Are Wider Tires really better for performance?
It depends what you mean by performance: you have a larger patch of rubber on the ground, so there's more rolling resistance and more weight to move. This can eat up some horses. On the otherhand, if you're hotroded out, and blow-away your skinny tire every-time you take off, a larger tire will give you more traction and thus increase your performance. Also a fat tire will slightly increase you pre-grinding lean angle, although you'll probably barely notice.

2. What are the pro's and con's?
Neither here nor there: aesthetic taste.

Pros: Larger contact patch = better off-the-line traction. Slightly increased lean angle.

Cons: more weight and rolling resistance = couple hp loss at rear wheel.

3. Can I put Wider Tires on my 05 Super Glide with the current stock rims?
Yes, but it might "bulge" a little. You can usually go around 20mm wider than stock tires on a stock rim.

4. Can I put Wider Rims on my 05 Super Glide?
Yes, but you'd have some modifying to do.

5. Is it even worth the hassle and better off staying with stock set-up?
If you really like the wide-tire look it's "worth" if you think so. From a non-aesthetic functionality-based position, no, it's definitely not worth what could easily turn into a $1k project to a couple millimeters of width to your back tire.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:31 PM
fxdxrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mostly styling. Bigger rubber is only really justified with much bigger power. One issue to watch for is if you increase the difference between front and rear tire widths you have to lean the bike more in a corner to get the same turn rate because the contact patch moves out further so angles the bike away from where you're aiming, but also you might get more lean angle before anything decks. Very small differences though unless you fit something really wild.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Dynafrom818
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for all the great answers. I will keep my current rims, but one of the reasons I ask; Noticed sportsbikes have wider tires, both front and rear, which made me think that wider is better.

Perhaps it works only on that style/type of riding?

Old 08-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the great answers. I will keep my current rims, but one of the reasons I ask; Noticed sportsbikes have wider tires, both front and rear, which made me think that wider is better.

Perhaps it works only on that style/type of riding?
Dragsters tend to have large rear tires, and small front tires: lots of grip in the back and minimize rolling resistance in the front.

Sportsbikes tend to keep the front and rear tires the same size. Many of them actually aren't much fatter than yours (what's yours? 165mm? New bikes are 180mm?) they just look it because the tread extends pretty high up the sides since they lean so far over.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Dynafrom818
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

My 05 has 150mm. They look skinny next to the sportsbike that parks next to me at work. His are 180mm.

I don't plan to drag knees, but I do enjoy the curves now and then. Think I will switch out my OEM tires for some Metzlers.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:57 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

My 05 has 150mm. They look skinny next to the sportsbike that parks next to me at work. His are 180mm.

I don't plan to drag knees, but I do enjoy the curves now and then. Think I will switch out my OEM tires for some Metzlers.
Good move - either Metzelers or Avons (my choice). I use a wider tyre on the rear of my old Glide because it has a higher load rating than the stock size (and looks a bit better!), but it is difficult to say the same for using a wider tyre on a Dyna.

You could always buy a Buell if you want to match that sportsbike!