Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh yeah...a "Heads up".

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 05:18 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation Oh yeah...a "Heads up".

You may've seen my picture-post of my current tins swap; Tidy-Whiteys for ghost-flamed Fire Red Pearl. On my shopping list for some parts I needed to do the job, I had mistakenly written "Fuel Filter" when I meant "Fuel Strainer". The parts guy brought me the filter my list asked for, so I decided to keep it. He said they were out of stock on the strainers, but assured me mine was washable/reusable.

Today I was populating the new tank with the guts from the stock tank. Before installing the fuel pump ***'y, I pulled the U-shaped clip to access the filter. The cavity was full of $#!+, and the [white] filter element was completely black with crud...black-black!! I mean BLACK...seriously. I'd've never guessed it would look so bad; either our fuel is pretty cruddy, or I got a tank-full of sludge at one fill-up.

My bike has about 24K-miles on it. You might want to think about a fuel filter change for your ride. It's not difficult, just inconvenient enough that it's too easy to overlook. I was even more s'prised by this filth than I was by the nasty looking fork oil I drained when I did my chrome lowers (only 8K-miles).

FWIW

Old 08-16-2010, 05:28 AM
ratt196635
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the heads up would have never thought to change that filter Thanks!!!!!

Old 08-16-2010, 10:15 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

When I disassembled my tank for painting in the spring, the filter was clogged with rust. I'd bet it was more than 1/8" thick. I cleaned it and reused it. I did try to oder a new one but the dealer that I got it from sent me and charged me for the softail-equivalent which was $60+. The dyna version is only $17. I shipped it back and asked for a refund.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:44 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine was clean as the day it was new at 15k. Wonder if I can attribute that to our dry climate....

Old 08-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Are you typically buying your gas from one station?

Old 08-16-2010, 02:19 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 770 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I am doing the 10K service in a couple of days and that filter is not on the list in my manual. But it's on my list now.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:21 PM
docsg
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PKellyMc
You may've seen my picture-post of my current tins swap; Tidy-Whiteys for ghost-flamed Fire Red Pearl. On my shopping list for some parts I needed to do the job, I had mistakenly written "Fuel Filter" when I meant "Fuel Strainer". The parts guy brought me the filter my list asked for, so I decided to keep it. He said they were out of stock on the strainers, but assured me mine was washable/reusable.

Today I was populating the new tank with the guts from the stock tank. Before installing the fuel pump ***'y, I pulled the U-shaped clip to access the filter. The cavity was full of $#!+, and the [white] filter element was completely black with crud...black-black!! I mean BLACK...seriously. I'd've never guessed it would look so bad; either our fuel is pretty cruddy, or I got a tank-full of sludge at one fill-up.

My bike has about 24K-miles on it. You might want to think about a fuel filter change for your ride. It's not difficult, just inconvenient enough that it's too easy to overlook. I was even more s'prised by this filth than I was by the nasty looking fork oil I drained when I did my chrome lowers (only 8K-miles).

FWIW

I have 23K on my 05' FXDLI. The dealership (and they are not a "stealership" as far as my association with them has been) said that the fuel filter is scheduled to be changed at the 25K service. I'm not so sure how difficult it would be to DIY. I'll check my service manual to be sure but I'll probably let them do it as part of the service. What takes them an hour to do takes me all F****** day.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:41 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative

I buy my gas all over; mostly Chevron, Shell. Maybe I got some crap at one of the out-of-the-way fill-ups on our May roadtrip...hard to know. When I drained and gutted the tank, I didn't see any obvious crud inside; no rust, dirt, water, nuthin'.

It's not hard to change the filter, just inconvenient as hell getting to it. It really is one of those "out'a sight, out'a mind" maintenance tasks. I'll be looking for an opportunity to open up the RKC tank...it's sitting at about the same 24K-miles now.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:36 PM
denimbob08
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are you doing with the old tank?

Old 08-17-2010, 02:31 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member

Planning on a couple of 40's - 50's pin-ups nestled into those badgeless tribal flames...if you follow the shape, they're prit'near perfect for framing the tush/gams of a couple of lovelies like the ones below...

I've even got a third full set of tins (black) for any other wild-hare-brained idea(s) I might have...man, I love ebay!!!

Last edited by PKellyMc; 08-17-2010 at 02:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Oh yeah...a "Heads up".