Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain Drive or Belt Drive for 100HP applications?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013 | 11:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member

We feel your pain HogPro! I have 101HP and 107TQ and the later spec narrow belt on my ole Glide. Belts are the new chains! Got three bikes with them in my garage.

Old 03-07-2013 | 02:17 PM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by parts eeter

If I run a flat ( no dish ) rear sprocket bolted directly on wheel with no spacer ( is this possible ) on the 2000 FXDX

what offset trans sprocket do I use?
on my 006, I am using a 7/8" spacer on the rear. don't remember any offset on front.

probably call Baker Drive Train or Rivera Engineering for insight on that question.

or maybe Debrix.

I hear old wives tales all the time how troublesome chains are.

my 006 SuperGlide with 121 inch monster has the pedal on the bellhousing near all the time.

runnin year round with the chain since june 2010.

I love it. quiet. low maintenance.

not for the faint of heart I guess.

big plus - change ratio in a couple hours.

Old 03-07-2013 | 05:19 PM
parts eeter
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Mud,
I will give them fellas a call...

To the naysayers, I have no doubt that a belt is a great option, however when running tall rear shocks, that actually work I dont want a belt drive binding the swing arm action. The belt has to be too tight for the suspension to work as freely as I like. I have been running chains my entire life and have no issues with taking care of them or with durability. My bike doesnt have fancy chrome wheels, or any bling bling, so a little chain lube wont hurt it.

Old 03-07-2013 | 05:25 PM
Gliden
Club Member

Belt is fine.

Old 03-07-2013 | 06:58 PM
Lennyone
Tourer

I love my belt, I have broken many chain in the years I have been riding. When I first starting using belts I thought they would never last.I have never broken a belt, and I have been very hard on them. I have damage motor with breaking a chain, this would never happen with a belt. Belt drives require less frequent adjustments than do chains. Belts are quieter, run more smoothly, last longer, and are cleaner than chains. It is also easy to tell if a belt is worn, damaged or needs to be replaced. They do feel like a rubber band and not as direct has a chain. I have 135 HP and 135 pounds of torque, and never broke one yet. Just my two cent.

Last edited by Lennyone; 03-07-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2013 | 04:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by parts eeter
Thanks Mud,
I will give them fellas a call...

To the naysayers, I have no doubt that a belt is a great option, however when running tall rear shocks, that actually work I dont want a belt drive binding the swing arm action. The belt has to be too tight for the suspension to work as freely as I like.
Can't agree with you there. Belt tension is not enough to interfere with swingarm action. The much greater weight and inertia of a chain is more likely to affect suspension performance IMHO! I have 13" custom built Ohlins and the improved ride quality is remarkable.

Old 03-03-2014 | 12:53 PM
lovinlife1216
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mud
on my 006, I am using a 7/8" spacer on the rear. don't remember any offset on front.

probably call Baker Drive Train or Rivera Engineering for insight on that question.

or maybe Debrix.

I hear old wives tales all the time how troublesome chains are.

my 006 SuperGlide with 121 inch monster has the pedal on the bellhousing near all the time.

runnin year round with the chain since june 2010.

I love it. quiet. low maintenance.

not for the faint of heart I guess.

big plus - change ratio in a couple hours.

Hi Mud - I still have the original belt on my 2000 FXDX. The bike has less than 40k miles - mainly city driving and only 4 times to Daytona Bike Week from Atlanta over the years. However, the belt has stretched to the end of the adjustment bolts on the swingarm so it's going to be time to either replace or convert.

Your photos got my attention. Very nice looking chain drive. Any advice on who I should go to for doing a conversion? I live in Fernandina Beach and, although I know a really good former Harley mechanic (I don't plan to do this myself), he's not done any chain conversions... and I don't want my bike to necessarily be his tester, although I'm wondering how much there really is to it... Maybe it's easier than I think? Just contemplating what to do when it soon comes time to make a decision. Thinking out loud, converting to chain drive should be much less costly simply because of eliminating labor costs normally associated to belt replacements, right?

Last year, I met someone with a 2000 FXDX similar to mine who had a chain drive and he loved it. Said he felt instant throttle response - (will never forget how excited he was to talk about it). Not sure what he meant by "instant", because I feel like my throttle response is pretty darn immediate as well. Didn't get his contact info though. Darn the luck... Any ideas on where I should look in this area of the country?

Old 03-03-2014 | 04:30 PM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by lovinlife1216

Hi Mud - I still have the original belt on my 2000 FXDX. The bike has less than 40k miles - mainly city driving and only 4 times to Daytona Bike Week from Atlanta over the years. However, the belt has stretched to the end of the adjustment bolts on the swingarm so it's going to be time to either replace or convert.

Your photos got my attention. Very nice looking chain drive. Any advice on who I should go to for doing a conversion? I live in Fernandina Beach and, although I know a really good former Harley mechanic (I don't plan to do this myself), he's not done any chain conversions... and I don't want my bike to necessarily be his tester, although I'm wondering how much there really is to it... Maybe it's easier than I think? Just contemplating what to do when it soon comes time to make a decision. Thinking out loud, converting to chain drive should be much less costly simply because of eliminating labor costs normally associated to belt replacements, right?

snip

Any ideas on where I should look in this area of the country?
welcome to HDF Tom.

to answer your first (and last) question - no I haven't any knowledge of qualified Florida wrenches.

however the man you mention should have no problem with the conversion.

talk to Baker Drive Train or Rivera Engineering or maybe Debrix
for info on which sprockets for your 2000 FXDX.

as far as comparing replacement cost between belt or chain - yeah the chain is probably a good bit cheaper.

but

belt or chain, properly adjusted and maintained, will last a very long time.

the belt you have now is 14 years old. pretty good life I would say.

Old 03-03-2014 | 06:40 PM
lovinlife1216
1st Gear

Happy to finally sign up and post on this forum - thanks for the welcome. Yes, can't complain about the belt. The bike has been a real joy after all these years. I'll check into those resources you mentioned. And if I make the conversion plunge, I'll post some pics. Thanks again

Old 04-03-2014 | 04:13 AM
Bagger Jim
Club Member

Originally Posted by mud
welcome to HDF Tom.

to answer your first (and last) question - no I haven't any knowledge of qualified Florida wrenches.

Here's one

Quick Reply: Chain Drive or Belt Drive for 100HP applications?