Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chopping a Street Bob Fender - Hidden Struts for 2 Up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Johnny_Ringo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chopping a Street Bob Fender - Hidden Struts for 2 Up?

Hi all,

I've finally gotten the time to start a few things on the bob. One idea is to remove the rear fender completely and go with something custom.

Here is my question for the welders out there. If I go with something like the voodoo fender below, will it work for 2 up riding? I know the website says it will, but does anyone actually have experience with this size fender going 2-up? I am around 190, but my wife is only 105. she rarely rides, but i want to keep that option.

I guess my real question is this: Should I keep the struts on the outside, like the voodoo fender, or would it be better for strength to have something custom fabbed with hidden struts under the fender? And would anyone then suggest welding a piece from the swingarm to the back of the fender for more support? Or would the smaller struts be enough?

Attached Thumbnails Chopping a Street Bob Fender - Hidden Struts for 2 Up?-boltonfender5.jpg  
Old 08-12-2010, 05:08 AM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_Ringo
Hi all,

I've finally gotten the time to start a few things on the bob. One idea is to remove the rear fender completely and go with something custom.

Here is my question for the welders out there. If I go with something like the voodoo fender below, will it work for 2 up riding? I know the website says it will, but does anyone actually have experience with this size fender going 2-up? I am around 190, but my wife is only 105. she rarely rides, but i want to keep that option.

I guess my real question is this: Should I keep the struts on the outside, like the voodoo fender, or would it be better for strength to have something custom fabbed with hidden struts under the fender? And would anyone then suggest welding a piece from the swingarm to the back of the fender for more support? Or would the smaller struts be enough?
Why is there no seat in the pic? Go to thwe web site & look for a pic (or ask for one) of a 2up seat. I can't see how a back rest would attach to those struts... I would think that some one who 'rarely rides' would want to w/o one.

'a piece from the swingarm to the back of the fender' wont work... the fender is stationary, the swing arm.... 'swings'.

It looks to me like that fender was really made for a solo set up.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:45 AM
HDDyna2006
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO you should get a cheap Goldwing for 2 up, and Mod bike for solo your way.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Johnny_Ringo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HDDyna2006
IMHO you should get a cheap Goldwing for 2 up, and Mod bike for solo your way.
yeah, my buddy suggests that, but with a beamer.

to the second poster, i didnt clarify well enough that i know i cant weld a strut mounted fender to the swingarm. i was actually talking about going with two set ups.

one: use the voodoo fender, and was looking for anyone who has had experience using this two up. or i could fab something similar to the voodoo fender and hide the struts underneath the fender. just dont know which would be better from a welders point of view as to the strength of a fender welded to hidden struts.

or the second option, weld a new fender to the swing arm, allowing the fender to move with the swingarm. if i went this way, do experts out there think i would need to add additional support?

Old 08-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

That fender in the pic is slightly shorter than the one they produce for the two up seat.. they are designed to take the weight of two people..but don't think a sissy bar from harley would fit..ask the guy yourself.. He's a sponsor here with HDRiders usa forum and goes under the name of sk8rod and is active in the Dyna Glide section or view this http://www.rocketbobs.biz/ or contact him here info@rocketbobs.biz

Hope this helps

Last edited by Sumpnut; 08-12-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Kev_England
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JR: Im looking at chopping my rear fender this winter.
Found this kit from HD:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Not as rad as you may want, but I like the way they've packaged the integrated stop light/turn signals. Plus should be no worries with a pillion on board. I had the same concerns as you--but the way I see this fender, its about as short as I want to go and still put a passenger on board.
Cheers. K

P.S. looking at your pic above, put it this way: would you want to be sitting on the back of that thing going 80mph just a couple of mm's from the tire?

Old 08-13-2010, 10:42 PM
jordanball33
Road Master

cool looking fender!

Old 08-14-2010, 02:20 AM
MarksBOB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you dont want to go wider than 180, Cut your fender down. you can shorten the struts.
Just keep them long enough to support the pillion.