Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace headlight

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 12:33 PM
purvissp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks folks, sounds like I have a few options.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:31 PM
purvissp
Cruiser

Bad day to ride so I decide to install the new Cobra II headlight.

Also, you may notice I have change a few other things and stream line the bike.

Below is the Old Photo

Below is the New Photo

What do you think, look better or worse. At least I saved all the parts to put it back to the old way.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:15 PM
W G Junkie
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its looking pretty slick! Good job!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:25 PM
NOZEM
Road Warrior

Good job dude, it looks good... now peel those reflectors off the fork!!!!!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Changes the whole 'attitude' of the bike. I'm sure your windshield still fits, right? I bet it will also cut back on, if not eliminate, the 'windshield glare' from the stocker headlamp so many complain about.

I am very happy with the look after putting mine on yesterday.

I shouldn't mention this but -- After I put it on (and was insufferably pleased with my mechanical genius), I decided to check the high beam, low beam function. Just to make sure. So I'm standing to the side, staring at the light with just the ignition turned to on, and I hit the hi beam, lo beam button a couple times.

Nothing. Pulled the connector back out, checked it, no problem there. Turned the ignition to on again, hit the hi beam button again while staring at the light. Nothing.

Then I noticed I was hitting the run/off switch. Hi beam, low beam works fine.

That was when I went inside and had a beer.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Junior in NE
Road Master
Received 700 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Grendel4
Changes the whole 'attitude' of the bike. I'm sure your windshield still fits, right? I bet it will also cut back on, if not eliminate, the 'windshield glare' from the stocker headlamp so many complain about.

I am very happy with the look after putting mine on yesterday.

I shouldn't mention this but -- After I put it on (and was insufferably pleased with my mechanical genius), I decided to check the high beam, low beam function. Just to make sure. So I'm standing to the side, staring at the light with just the ignition turned to on, and I hit the hi beam, lo beam button a couple times.

Nothing. Pulled the connector back out, checked it, no problem there. Turned the ignition to on again, hit the hi beam button again while staring at the light. Nothing.

Then I noticed I was hitting the run/off switch. Hi beam, low beam works fine.

That was when I went inside and had a beer.
Things wouldn"t be fun to work on without sh*t happening like that.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Grendel4
Banned

Originally Posted by Junior in NE
Things wouldn"t be fun to work on without sh*t happening like that.
In my defense, I WAS using my left hand.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:25 AM
purvissp
Cruiser

Things went pretty well installing the light, but like everything else I have done I did have a few pains. Biggest pain are those 2 bezel rings, hard to get out and a pain to put back in. There is some kind of junk in the threads, looks like maybe Locktite. Had to clean the threads out real good to get those screwed back in.

1st problem the bolt that holds the headlight bracket on was a 1/4" too long, but I had a shorter one.

I used my original HD headlamp, so i just cut the three wires, took off old HL, used Radio Shack wire connectors to reconnect the wires to the HD plug, real easy.

The other thing to be careful about is, don't strip the theads on that little allen that holds the bezel in. I did and had to make a trip to hardware store.

But now it's on. Have not checked the alignment, may be coon hunting or worm hunting, but it's on and I will check alignment sometime.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Grendel4
Banned

Originally Posted by purvissp
Things went pretty well installing the light, but like everything else I have done I did have a few pains. Biggest pain are those 2 bezel rings, hard to get out and a pain to put back in. There is some kind of junk in the threads, looks like maybe Locktite. Had to clean the threads out real good to get those screwed back in.

1st problem the bolt that holds the headlight bracket on was a 1/4" too long, but I had a shorter one.

I used my original HD headlamp, so i just cut the three wires, took off old HL, used Radio Shack wire connectors to reconnect the wires to the HD plug, real easy.

The other thing to be careful about is, don't strip the theads on that little allen that holds the bezel in. I did and had to make a trip to hardware store.

But now it's on. Have not checked the alignment, may be coon hunting or worm hunting, but it's on and I will check alignment sometime.
Yeah, I forgot to mark the headlight too. Had I been thinking, I would have shined the OEM light on the garage wall before I took it off and marked the spot with some tape. But that would be a two-man job. Or one man, one wife. The wife was at work and besides, I wasn't thinking. I just wanted the darned thing on. I'll adjust it later on. Haven't ridden it at night yet, since the new HL. Been too ugly out.

It's hard to compehend the lack of decent instructions from HD. Had I followed the instructions, I would have removed the tank for absolutely NO reason whatsoever. Totally unnecessary. Even in the Service Manual, it says to loosen the fuel tank. Again, for no reason at all. Totally unnecessary. At least on my model. Plenty of slack in the neck of the frame. Plenty. I could do it again in ten minutes.

But I bet the dealer gets 'book' based on the instructions enclosed with the part. I'd bet a beer on it. And I also bet the book gives an hour and a half for it. Over a $100 labor, easy. Maybe not. I'd be surprised if it didn't though.

Just shows to go ya, hanging out in this forum is not only fun, it can save you a ton of bread by getting advice and opinions from those that have been there, done that.

Of course, sorting out the opinions can be interesting.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:35 AM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks better with your new Headlight! Now we have some more chrome to shine!

Quick Reply: How to replace headlight