Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VROD Brembo caliper fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 06:33 AM
spaceblue
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still no one has been able to answer the OP's original question.
I also have spoked wheels (the OP looks like he is running a 21 inch spoked wheel up front) and DO NOT want to run a V-Rod wheel to improve my brake performance.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:08 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceblue
Howard, wouldn't it just be as simple as getting (making?) a larger diameter rotor? Wouldn't this increase in diameter also improve the calipers lever ratio and thus brake performance as well?
Is there some reason why you are using a large font & bold? Of course you can make a larger rotor. Let me know how that works out for you.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:13 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Still no one has been able to answer the OP's original question.
I also have spoked wheels (the OP looks like he is running a 21 inch spoked wheel up front) and DO NOT want to run a V-Rod wheel to improve my brake performance.
I have decided it's time to do something about my brakes and I would like to do the VROD Brembo mod. I've only seen it on Superglides with the cast wheel. Is there any reason it wouldn't work on a spoke wheel since it has a different rotor.
If you read this I believe the answer is listed above. Why the Brembo will not work on his bike and has nothing to do with the wheel.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Just Enough
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[quote=Tnbrit;7105957]
Originally Posted by Just Enough
I just slid the V-rod 49mm tubes into my triple clamps, used the V-rod front wheel (powdered 10% gloss) Brembos, 11/16th master cylinder, and Street Glide brake line. Super two finger stopper. I found all the V-rod parts on Craigs List.

Great set-up,did you leave the lowers the stock length or did you add an internal spacer.
I've avoided this because I understood the V-Rod lowers lowered the front end.
Also is the speedo reading out because of the different wheel/tyre combo.
Thanks.
I machined an internal spacer to add 1 inch of travel (and length) to the V-rod forks. V-rod forks have 3 inches of travel and Dyna 49mm forks have 4 inches from the factory.

I think the speedometer reading is coming from a sensor in the final output shaft of the transmission. Only rear tire diameter or gearing changes would cause the speedometer to read differently.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:45 AM
spaceblue
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Just Enough;7106735]
Originally Posted by Tnbrit

I machined an internal spacer to add 1 inch of travel (and length) to the V-rod forks. V-rod forks have 3 inches of travel and Dyna 49mm forks have 4 inches from the factory.
Something thing I'm not understanding about the spacer you made. Isn't the V Rod outer shorter than the Dyna's? Isn't that the limiting factor when it comes to the overall wheel travel with this swap? Doesn't the spacer you made just allow you to use the Dyna uppers with the V Rod lowers? If so how does this get your extra inch of wheel travel back?

Last edited by spaceblue; 08-07-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Just Enough
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

]

Something thing I'm not understanding about the spacer you made. Isn't the V Rod outer shorter than the Dyna's? Isn't that the limiting factor when it comes to the overall wheel travel with this swap? Doesn't the spacer you made just allow you to use the Dyna uppers with the V Rod lowers? If so how does this get your extra inch of wheel travel back?
The spacer lengthens the damper rod inside the fork which lets the lower leg move out from the fork tube more lessening the slider stantion engagement. V-rod forks have about 1.5 inches of extra engagement of the slider over the fork tube than the Dyna 49mm forks, this is probably designed bye the factory due to the increased rake of the V-rod side loading the fork. With my 1 inch spacer I still have 1/2 inch more engagement with the V-rod forks than the Dyna forks.

Dyna uppers are not compatible with V-rod lowers due to a difference in the damper rod diameter.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:21 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help everyone. I decide I'm not going to go this route. With brakes being so critical I want something that is more a guaranteed fit. For now, I ordered an HD Diamondblack braided front brake line and Lyndall gold pads. I also ordered a couple speed bleeders. I'm going to do the pad and line change. I'm sure my fluid needs to be changed anyways so hopefully I'll get some improvement out of this. If I'm still not happy, then I'm going to go for a 6 piston caliper from Jay Brake.