Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed it!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:30 AM
ridzalot
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are truely worried about it you might conside this option. Take the insurance money (if they don't total it) put it towards a new to you bike and sell this one as is as a project bike. You would probably be money ahead doing this over fixing it then selling it. Hell, you could probably part it out for more than it was worth before the accident.....one never knows

+1

Old 08-04-2010, 07:41 AM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the Harley shop probably telling you the truth because they want to make money. But, here is another conspiracy theory....Would he really tell you that your frame is cracked or damaged if its only minor? More than likely if there is frame damage on a 2002 model that will put the cost way over the totaled mark, which means no money for his shop for repairs.....food for thought......

When mine was hit earlier this year, it bent the front wheel and axle, gas tank, exhaust, etc.... Well i couldnt for the life of me see how the forks escaped being bent, but they did. When i got on it first i swore up and down my handlebars werent straight. Had my wife, best friend, brothers all sit on it and they told me i was looney. Like all have said, i guess its just in your head....

Old 08-04-2010, 07:46 AM
GasserNorm
Cruiser

Good you are OK. Go into the shop when they have it torn down and look for broken paint on the frame, the paint will crack if the metal is cracked. No worries on the engine.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:47 PM
rattlebones
Advanced

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I banged my knee up. Nothing broken but took all the meat off the knee cap and strained everything. I will make a complete recovery. I had on a leather jacket and gloves. They did their job and protected me well. I think I will let the dealer fix it if it isn't totaled. I just wanted some second opinions. Thanks again!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:50 PM
powg
Advanced
Default krash

man ....the simple fact that you are ok ..is reason enough to not sweat the small ,material things like your bike ...it aint skin and bone....anything mechanical can be fixed...whats important is that you want get back on her ......cant measure heart ....an ol biker told me that if its got **** or tires its gonna cost you ...lol ride ez ..powg

Old 08-04-2010, 07:46 PM
bigfriggino
Stage III
Default not to get off topic but !!!

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
I hit a deer at speed, and had the same worries as you. The dealer told me the same stories, insisted that the engine and frame were fine. Two years and 15,000 miles later, it's still going strong.

If the stealer tells you there's nothing wrong with a part/system, believe him. He's there to make money, and he doesn't do that by letting shoddy/broken parts leave the store, especially (broken frame) parts that will kill someone - dead people aren't return customers.
Not to get off topic but your quote about its better to dead & cool than alive & uncool form harley davidson & the marlboroman it was Marlboro that made that statement not harley.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:49 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rattlebones
I lost control of my 2002 FXD. Hit some gravel going through a curve. The bike slid on its right side down the road about 20 or 30feet. Then hit the edge of the road and flipped over into the ditch. There is a lot of damage but the Harley dealer says he don’t believe its totaled. My concern is what if there is a fracture in one of the welds in the frame someplace that we don’t see. And after the bike is all fixed I am doing 80 down a highway and the frame breaks. Dealer says don’t worry that never happens. Also what if there is some internal engine damage that we are unaware of. So I get everything fixed and polished and pretty. But the engine locks up 3000 miles later. Dealer says these engines are strong and it will be fine. So what do you guys think? It started up with no smoke or odd sounds that I noticed. Should I trust the dealer or should I be concerned with the frame and engine? What else should I worry about or look for?
Dude take a breath and relax. your not riding some rice rocket. Harleys go down and are fixed all the time. they are not a onetime thing. they are made with the thought that someone, someday may drop one. it will be fine... promise

Old 08-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Low Riding 02
Intermediate

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. That's why it's great to own a HD, they are strong built bikes. Not some plastic thrown together. It will be fine and your bike will give you many more enjoyable rides.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My understanding is that HD will provide a replacement frame and match the VIN to your original one if the frame is trashed. Now as to whether or not that can be done without the cost exceeding the value (i.e. totalling from an ins. perspective) I can't say, but I wouldn't worry one bit. If the dealer says it can be repaired he's not going to open himself up to a lawsuit if it goes bad down the road. Just not worth it no matter what he has to give up in repair fees - he'll list everything he thinks need replaced/repaired and the ins. co will decide if its worth it.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:56 PM
h2o
Road Captain

Glad you're ok my man.

Quick Reply: Crashed it!