Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas light on at 105 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:19 PM
WIDERGLIDER
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gas light on at 105 miles?

I have a 2010 wide glide and the gas light has come on for the past two tanks at around 105 miles (with 22 miles remaining)! Also, the needle is buried on empty. When I filled it up it took about 3.5 gal of my 4.7 gal tank. Should I get it looked at?

Old 08-02-2010, 10:24 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would call the stealership and run it by them to see what they have to say. i would call and ask what does HD say your bike should get for a full tank and take it from there.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If you were to get 40 MPG, you should be able to go 188 mi before your tank runs empty ....

I am averaging about 38+ MPG but my light doesn't come on until about 120-125 miles ....

So, what did your fuel mileage turn out to be ...? If you were riding hard ... heavy with the throttle and you were getting really poor fuel economy, it is possible it is just what it is ....

R/
'Chop

Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 PM
stng_96
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See, I always have to set and just feather the pump to get my tank completely full, otherwise I have the exact same thing happen. Next time you put gas in it, just keep going and going until its coming into the cup and staying.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:46 PM
WIDERGLIDER
Tourer

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
If you were to get 40 MPG, you should be able to go 188 mi before your tank runs empty ....

I am averaging about 38+ MPG but my light doesn't come on until about 120-125 miles ....

So, what did your fuel mileage turn out to be ...? If you were riding hard ... heavy with the throttle and you were getting really poor fuel economy, it is possible it is just what it is ....

R/
'Chop
I don't believe I was riding it hard, my fuel mileage in the past has turned out to be about 40/gal. I'm going to try to ride it to around empty to see if I'm still getting the same...

Old 08-02-2010, 10:50 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by stng_96
See, I always have to set and just feather the pump to get my tank completely full, otherwise I have the exact same thing happen. Next time you put gas in it, just keep going and going until its coming into the cup and staying.

I did that today, and this is what happened. After leaving the station I hit into the throttle just a wee bit and saw gas seeping out onto the tank and all over my leg. So I have to say I won't be doing that again anytime to soon. I'll just get fuel a little more regularly.
Oh! Yes the cap was on tight, as I did double check it.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:57 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Me too

My street bob does that same crap. The review on the street bob they said it was the most inaccurate fuel gauge they had ever seen. I wouldnt fill it up clear to the top either cuz they always leak also.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:25 PM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stng_96
If I do that, the first sharp right hand turn, and I have a steady stream of gas running out of the tank.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:29 AM
maddog76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About everyone I ride with including my self has the same issue, tank goes to LO light, fill it up and had a gallon left. The dealer say that harley says a gallon off is ok for them, so you just get where you know you have a gallon left when you hit the LO light. They can take the float out and bend it but will try to talk you out of it.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:05 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default mileage

I dunno why I even pay attention to it. I never had a fuel gauge on any of my race bikes anyways. I would just check fuel capacity on said machine and push my mileage until the fillup said I got within my safe margin of fuel remaining according to gallons on fillup. From then on I would just set trip meter upon fillup and ride that many miles.
I think on my Streetbob I was trying to stay around the 120 mile mark, but I may start pushing that window farther. I just reprogrammed ECU and installed baffles so I should get some better mileage as well.
How many miles are you guys pushing the Street Bob fillups? Anyone run her dry?

Quick Reply: Gas light on at 105 miles?