Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas light on at 105 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveO-ll
I did that today, and this is what happened. After leaving the station I hit into the throttle just a wee bit and saw gas seeping out onto the tank and all over my leg. So I have to say I won't be doing that again anytime to soon. I'll just get fuel a little more regularly.
Oh! Yes the cap was on tight, as I did double check it.
If you had gas seeping out of the gas cap and onto the tank and leg then you need to get that cap replaced. It should not leak at all. I fill up exactly as he posted and never get a leak.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Airborne350G
If you had gas seeping out of the gas cap and onto the tank and leg then you need to get that cap replaced. It should not leak at all. I fill up exactly as he posted and never get a leak.
That will happen if any of us does what stng_96 said.

Gas is often stored underground, where it is quite cool. Filling the bike's tank on a hot day when the engine is hot the gas will quickly warm up and expand. As pressure builds up in the tank something will give and the gas cap is the weakest link, even if it is screwed down as tight as it will go. Best not to fill up too near the neck in the first place!

Old 08-03-2010, 03:46 AM
maddog76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fill up when my LO light comes on, and have a gallon left and that is right around 190 miles on it.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:41 AM
stng_96
Road Master

I have never had a problem with gas leaking out of the cap????

Old 08-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I usually fill up at 150 miles average. Most i have gone was 170 and thats when it had hit LO for about 5 miles.....Put 3.6 gallons in it that time.....The gas light usually comes on around 135 which i ignore. I wait for the LO indicator now...

Old 08-03-2010, 09:20 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
That will happen if any of us does what stng_96 said.

Gas is often stored underground, where it is quite cool. Filling the bike's tank on a hot day when the engine is hot the gas will quickly warm up and expand. As pressure builds up in the tank something will give and the gas cap is the weakest link, even if it is screwed down as tight as it will go. Best not to fill up too near the neck in the first place!
The fuel tank cover plate has a pressure relief tube (metal tube that should allow any pressure to escape ... the tube curves up toward the top of the tank, so that you have to rotate the plate in order to remove it) ... there is a rubber vent hose that has a plastic valve that runs out the front of the dash and to the left side on my bike ....

If pressure is building up in your tank, I'd have a look at that system ....

I fill up pretty close to the top ... I pull the pump nozzle out and peer down into the tank to make sure it I can see the fuel level ....

Only fuel I've had on my tank is when I screwed up and douched the tank inadvertently ....

R/
'Chop

p.s. You can see the tube in the diagram below if you carefully examine part number 124 (Street Bob, Low Rider) ... the tube is adjacent to the fuel gauge sending unit ....

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 08-03-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:00 AM
norris
Cruiser

My low fuel light comes on at 109 miles. But I have the 2 inch tank lift on a 08 street bob.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WIDERGLIDER
I have a 2010 wide glide and the gas light has come on for the past two tanks at around 105 miles (with 22 miles remaining)! Also, the needle is buried on empty. When I filled it up it took about 3.5 gal of my 4.7 gal tank. Should I get it looked at?
Mine's doing the same thing. I think it's just new and is getting funky gas mileage. Not gonna worry about it until I get some more miles on it.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:00 PM
TL03fxdl
Advanced
Default one click, that's it

got one at a local Shell station - works great to maximize filling up, without overflowing...

Attached Thumbnails Gas light on at 105 miles?-mccuff.jpg  
Old 08-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Knuckle Sandwich
4th Gear

I always just go by mileage. Although I changed my superglide tank to a street bob tank and you can't get quite as much fuel in it as the superglide tank. With the fill cap in the center of the tank it fills it pretty much to the top.

Quick Reply: Gas light on at 105 miles?