Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running out of gas on a 2009

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:23 PM
oldguyalso
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running out of gas on a 2009

So guys can you do any damage to anything if you run out of gas? This summer went on a 4100 mile 2 week ride. There was times I would of tried to get to the next gas stop if I knew that the most that would happen was one of my buddies would have to bring me a gallon of gas. I always seem to see LO on the gauge and panic then I fill up and put in 4,4-5 gallons and the tank is full. I am going to rely on my total mileage next trip

Last edited by oldguyalso; 08-01-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:29 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Only if someone behind you runs into you when you stall.

I wouldn't bring you gas after the first time. I would expect that as a big boy now you could take care of your business better than that.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:51 PM
oldguyalso
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya that's what I think too but my buddy has a Road King and he kept razzing me about gas. But I never ran out but if I knew I had another 30 miles getting to John Day City in Oregon would have been easier. But then meeting the ladies that day would not have happened and that's another story

Old 08-02-2010, 05:11 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Be careful you could damage your ego if you run out at the wrong time! Just kidding, I ran mine out one time to find out just how far I could get on E. You get a warning. It felt like hesitation to me. Once it started I made it about a mile and a half.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:19 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

One of the beauties of EFI, you just put in more gas and start normally, no need to prime.
I ran out on mine after the tank swap, had to see how far it would get me.
I carry a small camp stove gas tank that works perfectly, carries 2 litres which will get me at least 10 miles. Something like this;

Last edited by 8541hog; 08-02-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A while back I posted a test running my 09 FXDC until the idiot light came on to see
how the computer's range estimate matched up against the remaining fuel.

The idiot light came on when the dash computer was showing @ 25 miles left. I rode
into the next station about 2 miles down the road and put 4.6 gallons into my 5 gallon
tank. Manually calculating mileage, I'd been getting just a tad under 50mpg on that tank
so in my test, the computer and my actual usage matched up just about perfectly.

Out here in the west, you can run long distances between stations so it's good to
have some confidence in the dashboard computer's range estimates.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mike Horrell
A while back I posted a test running my 09 FXDC until the idiot light came on to see
how the computer's range estimate matched up against the remaining fuel.

The idiot light came on when the dash computer was showing @ 25 miles left. I rode
into the next station about 2 miles down the road and put 4.6 gallons into my 5 gallon
tank. Manually calculating mileage, I'd been getting just a tad under 50mpg on that tank
so in my test, the computer and my actual usage matched up just about perfectly.

Out here in the west, you can run long distances between stations so it's good to
have some confidence in the dashboard computer's range estimates.
I would caution you on thinking you had .4 gals of usable fuel left.
When I ran out of gas on mine, I put in the 2 litres from my can, then rode about 6 miles to the nearest station. I put in 4.4 gals in a 4.8 gal tank.
Due to the design of the tank and where the pickup actually sits, you may not have that much gas left that you can actually burn.
With the crossover being up front, and the tank at a slight upward angle, even more so if you have a tank lift, you may not be able to scavenge up to .2 or .3 gallons.
Just a little food for thought.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:46 AM
plumbertom
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While riding to OKC in June, I packed a one gallon gas can on top of my load just in case one of my planned gas stops was closed. My FXD has settled into about 40 mpg with the Tmax and my tank is 4.8 gals. The furthest I pushed it was 175 miles and what stopped it took 4.5 gals. This was along I-40 in N.M., the area I was most concerned about crossing because of the large expanses between fuel stops.
I removed my 2'' tank lift for that trip to increase my range.
What I've found is that my low fuel light comes on when I have about 20 mile range left. With the T-max installed the fuel remaining feature no loger functions.

Last edited by plumbertom; 08-02-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:43 PM
karlkcfi
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting, On my 2009 Superglide, My low fuel light comes on between 165-175 miles on the trip odometer and tells me that I have 36 miles till empy. I fill it up within 5 miles of the light coming on and I put 3.2-3.5 gallons into the tank. Everytime since I bought it.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:35 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by karlkcfi
Interesting, On my 2009 Superglide, My low fuel light comes on between 165-175 miles on the trip odometer and tells me that I have 36 miles till empy. I fill it up within 5 miles of the light coming on and I put 3.2-3.5 gallons into the tank. Everytime since I bought it.

Would be curious to see where it actually runs out, and how much it takes then.

Quick Reply: Running out of gas on a 2009