Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running out of gas on a 2009

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 03:43 PM
plumbertom
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karlkcfi
Interesting, On my 2009 Superglide, My low fuel light comes on between 165-175 miles on the trip odometer and tells me that I have 36 miles till empy. I fill it up within 5 miles of the light coming on and I put 3.2-3.5 gallons into the tank. Everytime since I bought it.
If you're running stock ECM your probably still somewhere around 50 MPG.
I used to run 200 miles before looking for a gas station.
But with a higher performance fuel control system my power went up and my mileage went down.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
I would caution you on thinking you had .4 gals of usable fuel left.
When I ran out of gas on mine, I put in the 2 litres from my can, then rode about 6 miles to the nearest station. I put in 4.4 gals in a 4.8 gal tank.
Due to the design of the tank and where the pickup actually sits, you may not have that much gas left that you can actually burn.
With the crossover being up front, and the tank at a slight upward angle, even more so if you have a tank lift, you may not be able to scavenge up to .2 or .3 gallons.
Just a little food for thought.
All very true. I used to fly so I'm very conscious of the "usable fuel" concept. My
intent during the test was to see how much was left when the idiot light lit up
and now I know.

FWIW, I grew up just outside Alexandria at the south end of the Parkway and spent
a large part of my adult life living in the Del Ray section of Alexandria, itself.

Pretty country, but I prefer it out here.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:37 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Horrell
All very true. I used to fly so I'm very conscious of the "usable fuel" concept. My
intent during the test was to see how much was left when the idiot light lit up
and now I know.

FWIW, I grew up just outside Alexandria at the south end of the Parkway and spent
a large part of my adult life living in the Del Ray section of Alexandria, itself.

Pretty country, but I prefer it out here.

Not a bad area, but like you I prefer out west. I am from WA state and I really miss the mountains. I go back as often as possible, hopefully soon I will be back on a more permanent basis.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by plumbertom
This was along I-40 in N.M., the area I was most concerned about crossing because of the large expanses between fuel stops.
That was smart. I do a lot of 300-600 mile day trips and overnighters around New Mexico
and if you think it's a long way between stops on I-40, try heading out into the boonies!
A woman friend recently bought a 2005 883 Sportster and one of the first things we
did was to run some "typical" routes and see what sort of fuel she burned so she
could have an idea of what her realistic range is.

On the coasts range is mostly a matter of curiosity; out here it's real important.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:47 PM
oldguyalso
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah when we were on our ride we took secondary roads and stayed off the interstates as much as we could. There was a lot of towns that had closed gas stations and the next town was the only option. Also riding on the 4th of July can be real dicey too plan to stop early on the day

Old 08-02-2010, 07:48 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,795 Likes on 2,537 Posts

Those of us with carbs just wait till the motor goes quiet, flip the petcock handle we have another 40 miles to look for gas. On my 05 FXDLI, on a trip thru Canada (Ont.) went out on a limb and went as far as I dared, 16.4L in a 4.9 gal. tank. That worked out to 4.3 gals pumped into the tank. Too close for me, fuel management is part of the ride.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by oldguyalso
Ya that's what I think too but my buddy has a Road King and he kept razzing me about gas. But I never ran out but if I knew I had another 30 miles getting to John Day City in Oregon would have been easier. But then meeting the ladies that day would not have happened and that's another story
Your buddy needs to learn that when riding in a group, even if there are only two of you, you should both stop and refuel at the same time, when the first one of you blinks! If you refuel and he doesn't you both waste time stopping when he feels the need to refuel, unless he can travel twice as far as you can.

Next time that happens you should ride on and wave as he stops!