Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis first timer

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:29 PM
7Sixpack7
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sturgis first timer

Hi all, I was wondering how many of you folks take along some sort of lock for your bike to use when in Sturgis. I understand there are bike stolen there every year. What are your thoughts on disk brake locks or any other kinds? Thanks for any input. 5 more git-ups!

Phil

Old 08-01-2010, 02:22 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A rotor lock is a good choice. Chances are when you park your bike you will not be anywhere near it. It is a crazy mad house there. Most of the stores and vendors want you to pay to park and that is if there is anywhere to park. The year I went it took almost two hours of stop and go bikes to even get into town. Then we ended up having to park on the outskirts and walk forever to get to anything. It sucked. The only part about Sturgis I enjoyed was the surrounding country side and even then that sucked sometimes when you came up on an *** load of bikes just putting along taking pictures.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:10 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
A rotor lock is a good choice. Chances are when you park your bike you will not be anywhere near it. It is a crazy mad house there. Most of the stores and vendors want you to pay to park and that is if there is anywhere to park. The year I went it took almost two hours of stop and go bikes to even get into town. Then we ended up having to park on the outskirts and walk forever to get to anything. It sucked. The only part about Sturgis I enjoyed was the surrounding country side and even then that sucked sometimes when you came up on an *** load of bikes just putting along taking pictures.
Went last year...trafffic was not horrible through town, but depending on the time of day, it could be a PITA.

You had that much trouble parking? Parking was not difficult to find...I think the most time we spent was about 15 minutes. Did not have to pay for parking and very near Main Street.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GREENOHAWK69
Went last year...trafffic was not horrible through town, but depending on the time of day, it could be a PITA.

You had that much trouble parking? Parking was not difficult to find...I think the most time we spent was about 15 minutes. Did not have to pay for parking and very near Main Street.
My brother goes to Sturgis all the time. But, OTOH, he doesn't have a life.

Daytona is a 4-5 hour ride for me. Been to Bike Week twice. Not in 20 years. Never again. Never. Talk about a Charlie Foxtrot. Rent-A-Cops everywhere. Toss your butt in the slammer for -- Anything. Nothing but Hard Tails and strippers.

Maybe it's just me. I got a bike to get away from the crowd, not to be part of it.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by GREENOHAWK69

Ditto... I paid to park twice. Eff' that - Main Street was easy & free...

The OP's question - the only thing I ever locked was my ignition. Zero problems here. Be more afraid of the tow trucks as this is their week to make $$$. If you park on a yellow curb or past a 2 hour limit (grocery store), they'll yank it out. Main Street was where I parked most of the time.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:19 PM
vecter
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW!! ghostrider69, that paint job looks great!...i love the full rear fender....just fantastic bike man g/j

Old 08-01-2010, 06:47 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vecter
WOW!! ghostrider69, that paint job looks great!...i love the full rear fender....just fantastic bike man g/j
Thanks man.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:59 PM
fxdx-fly-by
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

i think next year will be my first sturgis. been to daytona bike week it was ok nothing special...got some cheap parts for the old softtail though

Old 08-02-2010, 12:02 AM
7Sixpack7
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
Ditto... I paid to park twice. Eff' that - Main Street was easy & free...

The OP's question - the only thing I ever locked was my ignition. Zero problems here. Be more afraid of the tow trucks as this is their week to make $$$. If you park on a yellow curb or past a 2 hour limit (grocery store), they'll yank it out. Main Street was where I parked most of the time.
Thanks Baeseman1! Anyone else?

Old 08-02-2010, 12:18 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dunno bout the big rallies

I really dont dig the big rallies either. If its in the magazines or mainstream rallies I try and avoid them. I would rather get together with a bunch of the crew here and go for a ride. Which I plan on doing once I get my bike situated. I use a Krypto Lock anytime theres a thought of theft. If anything someone will roll off with an easier pick.

Quick Reply: Sturgis first timer