Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best suspension upgrade for a Fat Bob?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Clocker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info. I find the rear could use some help on the bigger bumps and the front on the smaller. The front could also use a little help on the shimmy when traveling on freeways with rain grooves, but maybe there is no getting rid of that?

Old 08-01-2010, 07:55 PM
marinepilot81
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My Progressive suspension front and rear drastically improved the ride. No, it's not as nice as Ohlins or Works, but they're much cheaper and get the job done. It eliminated most of the "road noise" and absorbs bigger hits much better than stock suspension.

As to whether or not to drop the coin for Ricor, Ohlin, Works...I think you could buy the Progressives and use the leftover money to buy a detachable windshield or seat with a backrest. Those would probably be more comfort for the money.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:20 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by marinepilot81
My Progressive suspension front and rear drastically improved the ride. No, it's not as nice as Ohlins or Works, but they're much cheaper and get the job done. It eliminated most of the "road noise" and absorbs bigger hits much better than stock suspension.

As to whether or not to drop the coin for Ricor, Ohlin, Works...I think you could buy the Progressives and use the leftover money to buy a detachable windshield or seat with a backrest. Those would probably be more comfort for the money.
There is no correlation between Ohlins and Progressive. They are two products equally unsuited for the other group. When a person says it cost too much than that product is unsuited for that person, When a person is a discerning and experienced rider, they seek out and would require this type of equipment, nothing else will do. Most HD riders would never know the difference because they never experienced anything else.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:24 PM
JimmysFXDC
Road Master

Originally Posted by FastHarley
There is no correlation between Ohlins and Progressive. They are two products equally unsuited for the other group. When a person says it cost too much than that product is unsuited for that person, When a person is a discerning and experienced rider, they seek out and would require this type of equipment, nothing else will do. Most HD riders would never know the difference because they never experienced anything else.
That's why it took me 30k+ miles to upgrade my suspension, the right pair of shocks wasn't available untill you started building them. And I can honestly say, they're the best bang for the buck per mile, for me!

Old 08-01-2010, 09:43 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I agree that rear shocks will do more than anything for long distance comfort. One of the benefits of having the FatBob is the rear shocks that come on the bike from the factory. They seem to be quite in demand as takeoffs because they are a fully covered shock. Many a used set has gone for 100 bucks of more on this forum as well as ebay. Thats a pretty good chunk toward a new set of shocks and can be the difference between getting one set vs. a slightly better set. And don't discount the value of a good W-I-D-E touring seat either. Its true that shocks really help, but sitting on a crappy stock Harley saddle for 6-8 hours a day sucks ***** too. Hell, you can be on a road as smooth as glass, but if your butts aching, thats no fun either. When I switched to a Mustang Wide touring seat, that alone added 100 miles to my ride before fatigue started to set in.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:45 PM
marinepilot81
Tourer

Clocker: what's your price limit?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:56 PM
JimmysFXDC
Road Master

Price limit is a good question. But, purchacing a high quality set of shoks means that one can have them rebuilt for their new bike, assuming it's still a twin shock model. It's a carry over mod!

Old 08-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Clocker
Cruiser

No limit on price for this mod. I have many other 'want to do's' but if I can't ride in comfort what good is a having more bling?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:48 AM
marinepilot81
Tourer

If there's no price limit, why not grab the Ohlins? Seems like everyone on here is always saying they're the best.

Those shocks would probably do the trick and you could then worry about a QD windshield or more comfortable seat later on.

I've got no complaints with my Progressives, but if you've got the coin...why not get the best?

Old 08-02-2010, 10:01 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 274 Posts

The wife bought herself a new Low Rider a couple years ago; first improvement was Metzlers over the stock Dunlops; rain grooves, steel bridge decks and road cracks are no longer a problem; she can't believe the difference. Run the correct pressure, whatever it is, if I run my Bridgestones "soft" the handling suffers and the front cups quickly...
Next up for her was a Danny Grey seat with gel insert...I've been on a DG seat for years; the best IMO. May depend on how wide your butt is...now we're looking at new rear shocks for her bike; the low rider shocks are too short to provide good usable travel; "softer" longer shocks would be great and the stockers have nil rebound control. I've got an FXDXT; it not only out handles the FLH's I associate with, the ride can be set up better, too.

Quick Reply: What is the best suspension upgrade for a Fat Bob?