Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone raised their suspension on a dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:03 PM
lucky jim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone raised their suspension on a dyna?

Hey all,

Maybe a dumb question.. I was originally looking at getting a '10 FXD but now i've been looking at some of the other Dynas, mainly the Wide Glide.

But now looking at the '11 lineup.. and it seems like most of the bikes are lowered. Now the bike DO look cool, but if I wanted to raise the bike back up to Super Glide height for a more compliant ride and better ground clearance.. would it be expensive, or would it **** with the handling geometry of the bike (specifically the WG)?

I'm not a big guy.. 5'10" on a good day, but I have no problem with the seat height of the regular FXD, so lowered suspension only comes down to looks...

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2010, 06:59 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you can raise it up.. however.. a good shock goes miles above increased ride height... so unless your aiming at potholes and moronic crap like that, 12" of quality shock will provide a magic carpet ride and handling for just about anybody.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:10 PM
lucky jim
Intermediate

Ok, cool. So it'd be much more advisable to get some good aftermarket shocks than get the larger HD ones on the Super Glide? hmm.. I doubt it's that much more expensive, either.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:16 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have wondered about this as well, my solution (when I have the $$$) is a set of progressive440 13 or 13.5 inch shocks.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:26 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I put a set of 13" air shocks from an '09 Ultra on my Wide Glide. Don't bottom out. You'd be better off spending $600 on some real shocks though. But... Then you gotta cough up the $600.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:51 PM
fxdxchuck
Intermediate

Don't know if they would work,but i wouldn't trade my Factory FXDX shocks for any others..well,most others...
Adjustable rebound damping..adjustable preload...great set of sport shocks that are a bit over 13 inches...
Hope you find your answer!

Old 07-31-2010, 08:54 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jack it up any higher than stock and the dirt bike jokes will surely fly.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:04 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky jim
Hey all,

Maybe a dumb question.. I was originally looking at getting a '10 FXD but now i've been looking at some of the other Dynas, mainly the Wide Glide.

But now looking at the '11 lineup.. and it seems like most of the bikes are lowered. Now the bike DO look cool, but if I wanted to raise the bike back up to Super Glide height for a more compliant ride and better ground clearance.. would it be expensive, or would it **** with the handling geometry of the bike (specifically the WG)?

I'm not a big guy.. 5'10" on a good day, but I have no problem with the seat height of the regular FXD, so lowered suspension only comes down to looks...

Thanks!
I put Progressive 1/2" longer than stock shocks on my 02 wideglide, in 02 and they are still doing just fine at 101k miles and the bike handles and rides waaaay better than when it was stock. I have to really get rowdy to drag things now, and can put hundreds of miles at a time without getting beat up

Old 08-01-2010, 06:54 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

13 1/4" shock that depresses 1 1/3" when you sit on it. Both have the same stroke of 104 mm/4 1/4".

And my neighbor who is 5'-9"

Now you can visualize what the bike looks like with longer shocks.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Dynamic
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Replaced my 12.5" FXD stock shocks with adjustable (13-13.7") Ohlins shocks. Nearly 900 dollars delivered, but with length, spring pack length, compression and rebound damping all adjustable, and with the additional travel and superb compliance, I find it to be a great value. They are also about half the weight. Throw in the extra ground clearance over speed bumps and when cornering and the more secure feel in the corners, I'm of the opinion that it's not just good, it's necessary to fit longer shocks.

Quick Reply: Has anyone raised their suspension on a dyna?