Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Knock coming from my 99' FXDX. Help?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 04:05 PM
kromer4life
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Loud Knock coming from my 99' FXDX. Help?!

Hey guys, haven't posted in a while, but here goes.

So I have a 1999 FXDX, I replaced the time bomb cam bearing about 10 months ago. I had a broken front motor mount and had a knocking problem, I thought I could solve the knocking problem by replacing the motor mount.. no dice, I'm pretty sure it knocks harder now, like my damn engine's gonna fall out.

I'm still learning how to make repairs on my own, and I don't have the cash to take it to a shop.. So my question to you gents is this: Does anyone know what would cause this horrible knock? Any and all advice is deeply appreciated. What parts to buy? Where to check for the problem, etc?

Thanks guys

Old 07-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kromer4life
Hey guys, haven't posted in a while, but here goes.

So I have a 1999 FXDX, I replaced the time bomb cam bearing about 10 months ago. I had a broken front motor mount and had a knocking problem, I thought I could solve the knocking problem by replacing the motor mount.. no dice, I'm pretty sure it knocks harder now, like my damn engine's gonna fall out.

I'm still learning how to make repairs on my own, and I don't have the cash to take it to a shop.. So my question to you gents is this: Does anyone know what would cause this horrible knock? Any and all advice is deeply appreciated. What parts to buy? Where to check for the problem, etc?

Thanks guys
Not being a smartazz, but trying to figure out a knock over the internet is kinda like phone sex.

The best advice I can give you is -- Don't make it worse. Machinery isn't like the human body, it can't heal itself. Whatever is wrong sounds serious to me. You need to find out where the knock is coming from and what's causing it without doing further damage.

If it's a bearing that can be replaced, great. The last thing you need is to stick a rod through the side of the jug or the case.

That would not be good.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:20 PM
07 dyna man
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is an engine knock or does the knock occur when you hit a bump in the road be more specific

Old 07-29-2010, 08:11 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,801 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Is the knock noise with the idle exhaust pulse? Could be a collapsed lifter or a lifter with a some crap in it.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Dynamic
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A heavy knock from the left side is usually a loose alternator rotor nut. If that isn't it, it might be a con rod. With the engine running, pull one plug wire, replace it, then pull the other. See if it makes a difference in the sound.
If it's more of a clack than a clonk, and seems to be from the right side, then the hydraulic lifter(s) could, as mentioned, be faulty or not getting sufficient oil. Remove and clean the filter under the plug on the top of the timing cover.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:41 PM
fxdx-fly-by
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

i bought my 99 fxdx used and the guy said it had a factory recall on it for the lifters...sounds like a lifter problem to me...might check with the dealer and have your vin number handy and see if it is a freeebie fix...i know its years old but hey it could have been a better one than the ones that broke early...never know

Old 07-30-2010, 12:21 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My Compensator failed

On my 06 street Bob the stock Compensator sounds like a rod knock any time I lug the engine in any gear.I retorqued it and it didnt help. I ordered a Screamin eagle compensator. If it still sounds like crap I will replace that setup with a BDL belt drive and eliminate the crappy compensator anyway. Thats my theory on this subject.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:03 PM
kromer4life
Advanced

Thanks for the help guys. It's comin from left side of the engine. And yes, it knocks at idle.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:52 PM
buddyman47
Stage IV
Default 99 Harley Softail making very ugly noises. Help !

Hey kromer4life;
well....looks like it's been 2 1/2 years since that last post; I've got a 99 Heritage Softail; have only ridden about 100 miles, but last week it started making a very terrible "rocky knocky" noise from the left side. It does have lots of miles on it, but lots of engine refurbish work was done last year, actually about 100 miles ago. I've driven it like a baby, easy shifting, down shifting, etc.
Did you ever find out what the problem was on your bike? I know it's hard for anyone to say for sure, but was trying to get an idea of what this is going to cost. Some are probably saying....."well that's the price you pay to drive a Harley". I understand all that......... but I've already paid a lot and have less than 100 miles driving time.

thanks for any ideas out there. Be gentle guys.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by buddyman47
Hey kromer4life;
well....looks like it's been 2 1/2 years since that last post; I've got a 99 Heritage Softail; have only ridden about 100 miles, but last week it started making a very terrible "rocky knocky" noise from the left side. It does have lots of miles on it, but lots of engine refurbish work was done last year, actually about 100 miles ago. I've driven it like a baby, easy shifting, down shifting, etc.
Did you ever find out what the problem was on your bike? I know it's hard for anyone to say for sure, but was trying to get an idea of what this is going to cost. Some are probably saying....."well that's the price you pay to drive a Harley". I understand all that......... but I've already paid a lot and have less than 100 miles driving time.

thanks for any ideas out there. Be gentle guys.
Pull your primary cover. Mine did this last year, the screw for the chain adjuster worked loose and the whole assembly and chain were knocking around against the primary cover. Also possibly the compensator nut

Quick Reply: Loud Knock coming from my 99' FXDX. Help?!