Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Pan

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Pan

What are you guys using for an oil pan when you change the fluids on your Dyna my bike is pretty low so i can't use anything to tall

Old 07-29-2010, 09:37 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You have had 6 different Harleys and you do not own a jack?

Old 07-29-2010, 09:45 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

have a oil catch pan from the parts store that fits under my uncles low rider just make sure you buy the pan thats not to high or just go to the dollar store and buy you a cake pan the rectangle cake pans are metal and will slide right under as well and a flat cookie sheet will slide under the front to catch all the **** that spills from the oil filter. Don't ask my wife how i know this as she will get mad agian.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Wonkaboy
Banned

Originally Posted by tlb
You have had 6 different Harleys and you do not own a jack?

Yea i own a sears jack but it's a pain in the *** to use when trying to keep the oil pan level underneath because the jacks legs are in the way , if i had the room i would buy a lift ....

Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 AM
GeorgeJ
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wonkaboy
What are you guys using for an oil pan when you change the fluids on your Dyna my bike is pretty low so i can't use anything to tall
A lasagna pan from the supermarket works for me. You get multi-use out of it as well.
George

Old 07-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Wonkaboy
Banned

Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
A lasagna pan from the supermarket works for me. You get multi-use out of it as well.
George
Yea that sounds good it should be deep enough , i'm going to go today to buy one today , thanks !

Old 07-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea i own a sears jack but it's a pain in the *** to use when trying to keep the oil pan level underneath because the jacks legs are in the way , if i had the room i would buy a lift ....
No way I'd bother with the jack for a fluid change. I just changed my oil with the bike on the kickstand. Easy enough. Most parts stores will have 5 and 6 quart oil drain pans that will easily fit under your bike.

Just put plenty of newspaper under the pan and the bike in case you're as sloppy and careless as me. It's one of the few things newspapers are good for anymore.

Follow the Service Manual instructions and go for it. Also make sure you replace the O-Ring on the drain plug. It's worth the 99 cents. While I had the drain pan under mine with the drain plug out, I stood the bike upright and rocked it a tiny bit. But I've been called ****-retentive before. If you're changing the primary and/or the tranny fluid as well, I think it's imperative to get the bike straight so all the fluid will drain out of those unseen places.

My next door neighbor is very good mechanically. Very good. But he's had his bike for 12 years and takes it to the dealer for fluid changes every time. Except for once. He over-filled it and he shied away from doing it again. Silly. He also made a hell of a mess. Got oil all over everything.

The trick is to use something under the oil filter so that oil doesn't go everywhere. You can buy the funnel from Harley for $20 US or you can fabricate one out of an old 2-liter plastic coke bottle or you can simply use a piece of thin cardboard folded up. One guy here used a throw-away cutting board protector type dealio. I know what it is, I just can't describe it. It's a thin, foldable and disposable cutting board to protect your cabinets when you decide to butcher a deer in your kitchen.

Whatever. Don't feel bad for not doing routine maintenance on your bike yourself. It's a big club. If you want to save the bread and KNOW it's done right -- Go for it. If money is no object to you, let the dealer handle it.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:28 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Isn't the sears red a lift and you already own it....so why would have to go buy one, unless you're referring to a lift table. I suppose I use those terms "lift" and "jack" interchangeably.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:38 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Cake pan.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:52 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

kitty litter pan small one

Quick Reply: Oil Change Pan