Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Pan

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't like screwing around and cleaning metal baking pans after draining oil so I buy foil pans from Wally World. When I'm done draining fluids, I put the oil in my recycle container and toss the foil pan in the garbage. Adds a dollar or less to my fluid change.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:26 AM
RicMF
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plastic bin, looks like a litterbox. Just *barely* fits under my bike.

I pour it into my recycle container and then wipe it out with a paper towel, but the cheap foil cake pan sounds like a good idea to me.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Isn't the sears red a lift and you already own it....so why would have to go buy one, unless you're referring to a lift table. I suppose I use those terms "lift" and "jack" interchangeably.
I meant a lift table , i got it all done today without using my jack.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Grendel4
No way I'd bother with the jack for a fluid change. I just changed my oil with the bike on the kickstand. Easy enough. Most parts stores will have 5 and 6 quart oil drain pans that will easily fit under your bike.

Just put plenty of newspaper under the pan and the bike in case you're as sloppy and careless as me. It's one of the few things newspapers are good for anymore.

Follow the Service Manual instructions and go for it. Also make sure you replace the O-Ring on the drain plug. It's worth the 99 cents. While I had the drain pan under mine with the drain plug out, I stood the bike upright and rocked it a tiny bit. But I've been called ****-retentive before. If you're changing the primary and/or the tranny fluid as well, I think it's imperative to get the bike straight so all the fluid will drain out of those unseen places.

My next door neighbor is very good mechanically. Very good. But he's had his bike for 12 years and takes it to the dealer for fluid changes every time. Except for once. He over-filled it and he shied away from doing it again. Silly. He also made a hell of a mess. Got oil all over everything.

The trick is to use something under the oil filter so that oil doesn't go everywhere. You can buy the funnel from Harley for $20 US or you can fabricate one out of an old 2-liter plastic coke bottle or you can simply use a piece of thin cardboard folded up. One guy here used a throw-away cutting board protector type dealio. I know what it is, I just can't describe it. It's a thin, foldable and disposable cutting board to protect your cabinets when you decide to butcher a deer in your kitchen.

Whatever. Don't feel bad for not doing routine maintenance on your bike yourself. It's a big club. If you want to save the bread and KNOW it's done right -- Go for it. If money is no object to you, let the dealer handle it.
I did it all today without the jack , changed my oil , primary , trans , air filter , spark plugs everything is fine no leaks ! I know i just saved a ton of money !

Old 07-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonkaboy
I did it all today without the jack , changed my oil , primary , trans , air filter , spark plugs everything is fine no leaks ! I know i just saved a ton of money !
Not only did you save a couple hundred dollars, you know it's done right.

Good deal.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:42 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I stole a tupperware pan from my wife back on the first oil change and it works great. Its just big enough to hold all the fluids from all 3 holes so only have to dump it once.

Dump it in a recylce container and I dump my oil off at the local Indy and he uses it to heat his building in the winter.

Last edited by bberck; 07-29-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:44 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
A lasagna pan from the supermarket works for me. You get multi-use out of it as well.
George
Yep, that is what I use.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:48 PM
fattboy1967
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

ok ready,,,we used to have one of those automatic cat litter boxes...got rid of it ...i use the long trays that collected the $hit now i use em to catch the oil....ten buck a box get like idunno 10 15 of em

Old 07-29-2010, 07:04 PM
u wish u could ride
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

roll it on a piece of 2x8 under each tire first. thee one under your kickstand . my cars catch pan works fine once thats done..

Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned

Originally Posted by bberck
I stole a tupperware pan from my wife back on the first oil change and it works great. Its just big enough to hold all the fluids from all 3 holes so only have to dump it once.

Dump it in a recylce container and I dump my oil off at the local Indy and he uses it to heat his building in the winter.
I ended up using Tupperware too it was shape like a shoe box and was just the right height with the kickstand down most of the fluids came out but i also sat on the seat straight up for a minute or so , i ended up pouring the used fluids into a empty Prestone container and cleaned out the Tupperware box and stored all the tools i will need for the next time , i bought that HD primary funnel they have that worked great , but i had two problems i also bought one of those HD oil catcher's for the filter well it did not catch any oil i guess i needed to shove it under more , second problem i bought the gallon size oil from Harley but i only needed 3 quarts luckily i had a empty quart bottle laying around so i ended up filling it up to the line , next time i'm going to buy the oil in separate Qt bottles i will only need two then , at least everything is done with no leaks and i'm better organized for the next time

Quick Reply: Oil Change Pan