Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 01:23 PM
carver
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Paint

I purchased an extra gas tank and front and rear fenders for my 06 Low Rider. My plan is to buy a spray gun (I've never spray painted before) and paint these a new and pretty color so I can change my bike color whenever I want. My buddy thinks all of this is a crazy idea. I thought that I would keep it all one color and just apply H-D decals to the tank. My question is, has anyone else done something like this and do you have any suggestions or experiences that I may learn from?

Old 08-31-2006, 01:31 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: New Paint

I tried that one time. By the time I got thru it looked like I had painted it witha live chicken,buffed it with a pine cone and polished it with a brick.[:@]

Just joking. Sounds like a great idea. Great way to learn a little paint and surface prep. Since you got all extra tins,you can just keep doing it til you're happy with the results.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 08-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Bob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, I chose a different method to achieve my desire for some color options.

My Bob started out Vivid Black, and I have so far acquired two additional stock paint sets on eBay.
One is the Deep Cobalt from a FXDBI, the other is the Cobalt and Silver combo from a FDXLI.
I also intend to add a Black Pearl set when the price is right.

Currently it takes me about 4 hours to change the bike's color, since I have to swap the tank hardware.
Eventually, I will have the internal guts for all four tanks and be able to swap colors in about an hour.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:39 PM
SDMF
Road Warrior

I think that's a cool idea; it's like having two bikes in one. However, it depends on what you mean by 'New & Pretty Color.' What are talking here...burnt umber & tootie fruity? Then you may be crazy [sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=smarty.gif]

Old 08-31-2006, 07:24 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

<”Carver”>

<”I purchased an extra gas tank and front and rear fenders for my 06 Low Rider. My plan is to buy a spray gun (I've never spray painted before) and paint these a new and pretty color so I can change my bike color whenever I want. My buddy thinks all of this is a crazy idea. I thought that I would keep it all one color and just apply H-D decals to the tank. My question is, has anyone else done something like this and do you have any suggestions or experiences that I may learn from? “>

Never painted before ? damn you got guts, just remember this…….

[“I tried that one time. By the time I got thru it looked like I had painted it witha live chicken,buffed it with a pine cone and polished it with a brick”]

: - ))) There is a lot of truth in that statement, besides being funnier than sh*t !!! : - ))

At least buy a painting training video, I would start w/the basics, just a thought.

<”.. and paint these a new and pretty color so I can change my bike color whenever I want…”>

<”pretty color”> ?

Your telling me, there is a bike color other than Black ??? your kidding me right ??

<” change my bike color whenever I want “> ??

dude, you got a Harley Davidson Motorcycle, not a pair of women shoes ???

Good luck with the painting !

cj

Old 09-01-2006, 03:40 PM
carver
Intermediate

Thanks for the input guys. Man, I sure took a beating on my statement of a "pretty color" Ha! By pretty color I meant something like burgundy or blue or green (just something different). The way I'm looking at it is if I screw it up, I will just sand it off and try again. If I never get it right, I can always take it to a professional painter. But, thanks for your input. This is a great place to hangout. Here and the local Harley dealer.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:57 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

iam doing the same thing,having 2 sets.1 will be a custom flame job for when iam in town.and the second will be my stock vivid black for long hauls.so i dont wind,sandblast my custom set traveling.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:05 PM
dynamolowrider
Tourer

wet sand, wet sand , wet sand, and then when you think its smoth enough wet sand some more lol... when you get started you will see what i mean

Old 09-01-2006, 11:57 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,093 Likes on 351 Posts

due, its not a "pretty color", its a "cool color"!! LOL

Old 09-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you already have the air compressor? Make sure you have a good filter on it so the water doesn't blow out with your paint.

Also, you'll need a buffer and different pads and compounds. A good buff job can make all the difference!

Quick Reply: New Paint