Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXD doesn't have much compression, rear cyl...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010 | 02:52 PM
jinx44
Advanced

So....If the valve is too small to even hit the seat, how did he not realize the issue when installing the springs and retainers? How did the retainer ever stay in place? The carbon buildup would indicate that it has at least ran in that fashion, and I don't see how that is possible with obviously no compression.

I think there is more to this story...

Old 07-27-2010 | 03:06 PM
Vern1
Cruiser

Greetings,
I got it: It's a Tim the Toolman engine and Al was on vacation when he built it!!!!

Edit: As was Tim....

Old 07-27-2010 | 04:51 PM
scottyd
Cruiser

How fugged up would it be if it was a MOCO factory mistake!?

Old 07-27-2010 | 07:12 PM
sniper77
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jinx44
So....If the valve is too small to even hit the seat, how did he not realize the issue when installing the springs and retainers? How did the retainer ever stay in place? The carbon buildup would indicate that it has at least ran in that fashion, and I don't see how that is possible with obviously no compression.

I think there is more to this story...
I got the call from the guy this morning and got the background.......

He took off the heads to have the valve seals replaced and the second spark plug holes drilled and tapped.

He didn't have the machinist even clean the heads, no carbon removal no valve lapping, nothing...just a pure, low budget, seal replacement with a second spark plug kicker.

Apparently the machinist that did the work was just getting the heads off his bench and didn't even notice he had mixed the valves up when installing.

Funny enough, both valves were snug and the spring retainers were set......

They guy said when he put it back together he couldn't get it to start and noted there was no compression on the rear cylinder....so he pulled the rear head and installed a new head gasket........

Yes, that means he had the head in his hands twice and never noticed anything out of the ordinary........

I've decided I'm going to petition the government to mandate Sears issue a test, that must be passed, to anyone wanting to buy a set of hand tools before being approved for sale, rotflol...

Old 07-27-2010 | 10:26 PM
AFHuey
Cruiser

GTFO! Switched the valves? I thought the tulip had broken or was being held open by some carbon or something....I didn't even pay attention to them being switched because it seems impossible in my tiny brain. HOW!? I mean some people should never ever perform maintenance.

I work on multi-million dollar F-15's and I get to see things like this every single day. We have T.O.'s (instruction manuals written on a 5th grade level...with pictures even) and people still manage to mess things up. Everytime you see a warning or a caution...you know that someone killed themself or someone else to cause that to be written in there.

I suppose we'll be seeing something in the service manuals like, "Ensure correct seating of the valves. Incorrect seating might result in reduced compression and diminished performance"....lol

Old 07-28-2010 | 12:06 AM
R-Jay
Road Captain

WOW! Thanks for the laugh! No matter how hard you try to idiot proof something, someone always builds a better idiot!

Old 07-28-2010 | 08:56 AM
jinx44
Advanced

Originally Posted by sniper77
Yes, that means he had the head in his hands twice and never noticed anything out of the ordinary........

I would have thought finding lash to be WAY off would have raised a flag too. LOL There had to be excessive lash on the exhaust side, since the stem would have been sitting lower with the valve not on the seat. And the intake side would have been tight.

And why in the world would you have a head off and not clean carbon buildup.

I agree, some people shouldn't "try this at home". LOL

Old 07-28-2010 | 09:21 AM
Cblast
Advanced

He said "Someone with tools" !!! You are killing me here man, I can't stop farking laughing, I just spit coffee on my kitchen floor!

Old 07-28-2010 | 12:40 PM
sniper77
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cblast
He said "Someone with tools" !!! You are killing me here man, I can't stop farking laughing, I just spit coffee on my kitchen floor!
ROTFLOL! I ain't paying for that!

Besides, if someone has tools and no skillz does that mean THEY are a tool????

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 07-29-2010 | 02:15 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

Wow... screwed on a head job, Awesome!

Quick Reply: FXD doesn't have much compression, rear cyl...