Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide bars on a Superglide??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:18 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

On my way to work - I will post details later on.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:06 AM
b0fh
Road Captain
Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

definetely need different bars... too much speed == too much wind == me struggling/hanging to the grips to avoid being blown off the bike... LOL

need to rest a little weight on the wrists instead of 100% on the buttocks like I do on the sportie.

cheers

Old 07-28-2010, 07:03 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

Ok so here is the poop on FXDL bars. I knew I needed something else the first time I rode the thing but decided to get the seat on it first as that can change the relationship. I put on the one HD calls a "touring seat" part number 51472-06. I then looked at a leftover FXDL sitting on the floor as well as an FXDC that was sitting next to it - sat on both and looked at the relationship of low risers/more pullback on the custom vs less pullback/taller pullback risers on the LR and what effect installing them would have based on dimensions from the big white book. Looking at it I thought it would do what I wanted to and being $50 it wasn't a huge risk if they didn't work. So the FXDL bars went on the standard FXDC risers with no mods whatsoever other than readjusting the controls.

First thing I noticed was that this combo mean that the signal relocation kit (which I was going to do anyway) was now mandatory as the left one was very close to the tank and the right side made contact..........not good. So I installed the signal kit but not exactly as the instructions say. They want you to put them under the lower triple clamp but I didn't like them there plus the wire is a whole lot more visible there. I played around with them right side up and upside down (flipping sides to do that) to see what it would look like and where the wires would be the least objectionable. Finally settled below the top clamp with the mounts on the correct side.

Rather than run the wires under the lower triple clamp and use the P clamp to secure the wires I ran then along the switch harnesses on each side (entering the BB on the opposite side) and secured them to that bundle with some ty-wraps. This leaves a little extra wire to hide inside the backbone but it still fits no problem. The only issue with this location is that if you ever put quick detachable windscreen mounts on they would be in the way and need to be moved, otherwise there are no issues and the wires are less noticeable but still there.

Now this being a touring seat it sits substantially higher than the stocker I have not measured but at a guess I would say another 2-3 inches added to the seat height. This does affect the angle you sit at as being up higher you have to lean forward a bit more.

So the part number for the FXDL bars is 56004-00 and they can be found in the 2010 parts book as the LR is still offered this year for the Japan market. The stock cables work ok although I think the clutch cable does seem a tad long but I will leave it be for now. Dimensions of the two are as follows
FXDC
Width - 30"
Base Width - 11.75"
Pullback - 9.25"
Rise 5.25"

FXDL
Width - 31"
Base Width - 7.75"
Pullback -5.75"
Rise - 6"

Now how they ride/feel. First off I am 5'9 or maybe 5'10 or so in boots and have a 32" inseam. With the touring seat I can just flat foot the thing with 12.75' bagger shocks on. All my past bikes have been crotch rockets or sport touring (80's style) bikes so any sort of cruiser bike is quite different to what I am used to.

The stock bars put me in a position where I was sitting bolt upright and at 70mph (even 60 really) the wind bast was pretty severe and I had to hang on pretty tight to stay put and it really pushed on my full face helmet too. With the new bars things feel much more natural, it has me leaning forward slightly but not so much where there is an perceptible weight on my wrists (one of the reasons I didn't get a Triumph Thruxton which I did like otherwise) but the feel at speed is vastly different.

Now with my full face helmet tilted down slightly there is no more gale force effect and the wind hits smoothly with little of the buffeting and being pushed back that I got with the stock bars and covering the brake like I do feels very natural - at lowers speeds I find I like it even better, bike is easier to flick around and with the new shocks on it I kinda want to see how hard I can pitch it in a corner before something drags. Overall with these bars, touring seat and bagger shocks I'm quite impressed at how smooth this bike is at speed, considering my biking background I never would have guessed, vibration really worried me but this thing is really smooth and should get better once the forks are sorted out- me like! Here's some more pix

Anyone that cant see the pix pm me your address and I will send them to you.

Attached Thumbnails Wide Glide bars on a Superglide??-13a.jpg   Wide Glide bars on a Superglide??-28a.jpg   Wide Glide bars on a Superglide??-12a.jpg  
Old 07-28-2010, 07:20 PM
TopKat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info........Couple more questions:
Have you tried the new bars with the stock seat?
Do you have forward controls?

Old 07-28-2010, 07:42 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

I have not tried with the stock seat, quite honestly I thought it sucked but I can give it a try and report back. Using mid controls and if I could I would move those back about 4-6"

Old 07-29-2010, 12:16 AM
TopKat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the p/n in the Harley cat. p. 576 but no pic. I'm glad you posted some I could see. Interesting place to put the signal relo kit. I opted for the lower position.
Being almost 6FT and fairly long legs the mid controls cramped up my knees so I had to go for the forwards. I'm getting used to the stock seat but am leaning toward the fastback from CC Seats. I rarely have passengers. Like you and some others I get a cramp in my wrist with the stock bars so your discovery has me really interested. I assume you asked the parts guy what the p/n was for the FXDL right?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:57 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

I didnt have wrist issues although the stock bars are at the wrong angle - just didnt like sitting straight up. That said, FXDL bars have a pullback that puts the wrist at a natural angle straight in front of you rather than twisted to meet the grips.
I just asked for 09 FXDL bars but did get a parts book later on. Maybe try that HD tallboy seat.

Last edited by p51bombay; 07-29-2010 at 09:01 AM.