Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with plastic melted on Black Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:24 PM
chidrock
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with plastic melted on Black Pipes?

Did a search but didn't find much in the results for what to do if you get plastic/rubber melted onto black exhaust pipes. I was backing my bike into the garage and it went up against an empty container and now I have stuff stuck to my Rush slip-ons. (I had scuff marks too, so at least now I'll finally get to those as well) I'm guessing to stay away from the steel wool and am not sure about oven cleaners. Anybody use Easy Off? I heard WD40 works, but not if it is safe for the black pipes.

Just an example - I've used Goo Gone on plastic things to get stickers off, but I know that leaves a residue afterwards, so that's my hesitation with something like EZ Off.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:25 PM
HATZO1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use very fine steel wool and wd-40 on the pipes when they are warm and it gets the stuff off every time with out any harm to the chrome.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wonder if that will work on his black pipes, assuming it has the same hardness as chrome, it probably would but no experience there for me.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:24 PM
TAC1
Cruiser

Fingernail method on a warm pipe may work the trick, or you can always use simple green or another degreaser to see if that works.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:55 PM
AFHuey
Cruiser

I had some plastic on my black heat shields and I heated them up and wiped it off with simple green and a shop cloth. Thought process being, if it melted on there, I can melt it off. I suppose you could probably do the same thing with a heat gun.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:11 AM
chidrock
Advanced

Thanks for the replies...my biggest fear is staining the pipes with whatever I use if I heat them up.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:41 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they are ceramic black and not painted, you can use the Easy Off oven cleaner trick like on chrome. I would do a small test area on the bottom of the pipe.

On hot pipes spray on Easy Off, let sit overnight and wipe off with sponge in the morning. Easy and works like a charm.

I used this on Jet-Hot ceramic coated pipes when I melted a microfiber cloth on hot pipes. No damage and good as new.

The following users liked this post:
Purplhrt91 (04-28-2023)
Old 07-27-2010, 07:54 AM
jcopel
Cruiser

Do NOT use a ScotchBrite pad. I'd rather not tell you how I know this.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:09 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I tried the 0000000 steel wool years ago = dull pipes, no getting around it.

Right now I do the Easy Off Heavy Duty(not sure about regular Easy Off), but I was told to spray it on a cool/cold pipe and then just wipe it off in the morning. Always worked for me. After being told about the new H-D stick skuff remover, I bought a tube. It does what they say, but you do have to use it vigorously as stated and does take a little longer. I will use it on lightly skuffed pipes and Easy Off on really heavy marks.
As stated earlier, I don't know how it effects black chrome.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Give Rush a call and ask them what you can use as a touch-up paint in case you botch the job.

There's plenty of 1,500* black ceramic paint out there. If that's what's on your pipes. See if you can find out what they're using on their pipes.

Chrome is one thing, paint is quite another. There is a possibility that some of your paint is gona hitch a ride with the gooey stuff when it comes off.

Quick Reply: Experience with plastic melted on Black Pipes?