Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with plastic melted on Black Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 AM
FenceSC
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I melted a plastic strap on my black pipes while riding one day. Used a cotton t-shirt to wipe it off the minute I parked the bike and it took everything off.

Good luck.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:23 AM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you use Easy-Off shield the rest of you bike. It can overspray and leave spots on paint. On chrome pipes, I tried, Easy-Off, Simple Green, WD-40 and it did not work. Steel wool on modern chrome is going to leave scratches. I tried a sponge made by Mr. Clean, I think, and it got a little off and made the spot duller. With the pipe hot scraping with a popsicle stick and my fingernails remove quite a bit, and left some scratches. Keep a rag on the bike and wiping it off while still hot and before it dries is the best way.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:36 PM
chidrock
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grendel4
Give Rush a call and ask them what you can use as a touch-up paint in case you botch the job.

There's plenty of 1,500* black ceramic paint out there. If that's what's on your pipes. See if you can find out what they're using on their pipes.

Chrome is one thing, paint is quite another. There is a possibility that some of your paint is gona hitch a ride with the gooey stuff when it comes off.
I actually wound up calling Rush yesterday. They asked me to take a pic and email it to them, but things actually worked out for a change - when I went out to take the picture I noticed it wasn't as bad as I thought the night before. I was able to just kind of peel most of it off by rubbing it with my finger, and the last little bit I used the HD denim paint cleaner & a little elbow work and it came right off without a trace. I figured that the denim paint cleaner would be safe because I sometimes use it when the pipes are cool to clean bugs off of them.

I still have some scuff marks from my boot and sent them a pic of those, but they never wrote back. I'm not sure if they got the email and I was debating calling them back. The boot marks never really bothered me until now lol.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:46 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

For chrome a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is THE ****. I also used it on my black Rhineharts and unfortunately it does leave a slightly dull looking spot where you rub. So I ended up scrubbing the entire thing to even out the finish and it's all good. Lesson learned.