Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Pirelli Night Dragon Tire Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I like your thinking. I made out with my Pirelli's, my 'Stones, and leaving the drive at speed left me wishing for a softer throttle. Leaving with the Dunlop CT, I saw not only board-scraping out of the driveway, but absolutely NO slippery mold release.
It is DEFINITELY DIFFERENT from one manufacturor's mold to anothers. What REALLY counts is the final mileage, traction, and confidence. I daresay that the price of the Dunnie was well worth it. Nearly 400 miles today and I NEVER broke loose, even on loose gravel, which all my buds slipped on with MT's.

Last edited by Quadancer; 09-02-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:18 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

What psi are people running in the rear Night Dragon 180/60-17 81V? I couldn't find it on the website

Done some riding on the tire the last few days all going well,

Interested in the car tire, do the beads seat in well to the rim?

Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 09-03-2013, 04:04 AM
oakspeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

im in the UK, so different roads to the states.
i got 5k from the non stick se dunlops.
ive managed 7k from a set of night dragons, and will replace with the same.
they were very slippy and non stick for the first 100 miles, but then settled in well. mixture of hot european riding, and the colder UK climate.
my jap sport bikes would return about 3k on the same roads, and the bonneville slightly better than the harley..

Old 09-26-2021, 05:25 AM
lancerooney
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pirelli: New tire break in info. (The gist)

Motorcycle tires have to be properly broken in before we start riding too aggressively. What makes a brand new tire so much of a hazard? It's not the tire's fault at all. The fault lies with riders being misinformed or in many cases, not informed at all. NOTICE: There are plenty of oils and other chemicals in the rubber compound that must first be released before maximum traction can be achieved. IMPORTANT: 1. Bring tires up to safe operating temperature. 2. Maintain proper inflation. Pirelli recommends warming your tires up to 165 degrees for a period of at least ten minutes. This will allow "Leeching" of the oils and other chemicals that make new tires slick. I haven't discovered any published data defining what constitutes the "Break in period." Is it based on #'s of successive heat cycles like road racing tires are? Is it based on hours in service, etc...? I'm dang curious. If any of you folks can shed light on that aspect. By all means, please do. Speaking here of Pirelli primarily, to keep focus on this thread. NOW!!!....A high tech. redneck method of warming tires to shed the oils and chemicals is as follows. Use strong acceleration and braking forces while remaining upright and not leaned over. This hard riding for 20 minutes will build heat into the tire carcass. This heat then transfers to the tread compound increasing your overall grip once up to proper operating temperatures during the break in process. I heard that somewhere before? No! Oh well........

Old 10-06-2021, 08:27 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

As a Darksider, we really have to work a tire in because we do tend to corner hard, due to the increased grip of the car tire, so my safest technique I use is to ride easy around neighborhood streets going full lean, left to right (slalom). This way, you're sitting upright and not depending on much traction due to the slow speed, and won't even leave a chicken strip if you scrape a bit. About 20 minutes and it will be nicely scrubbed in, ready to go get serious.

Old 10-06-2021, 05:34 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Ugh..

The following users liked this post:
Reindeer (10-07-2021)