Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Royce
Stellar HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Need some help

I need y'alls' thoughts/advice on a problem I had to day with my '08 FXDC. I was out for a ride with some friends when the bike started to run a little rough and the throttle response was sluggish. I thought that I might be low on gas at first, but that wasn't the problem. Here are some more of the symptoms:

- smell of gas
- excessive fuel usage, I used nearly half a tank covering 30 - 40 miles
- pipe from front cylinder looks wet (see pic)
- pipe from rear cylinder looks dry (see pic)
- running with the throttle nearly fully open in 5th gear, but barely able to maintain 65 mph
- bike surged a couple of times, acting like it normally would at full throttle in 5th

I'm thinking possibly a bad/stuck/clogged fuel injector at the front cylinder. If it was a clogged/bad fuel filter, I don't think that the pipe would be wet.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attached Thumbnails Need some help-front-wet-pipe.jpg   Need some help-rear-dry-pipe.jpg  
Old 07-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

Not sure of your problem, but I'd start by checking the spark plug to see if it's fouled and to make sure it's firing properly. Also, make sure all your electrical connections are good n tight.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:27 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i cant say for sure but is the back cylinder even firing by the sound of it and the power loss it doesn't look like it is.

I can tell you this i had issues with my 07 that we traced back to a bare wire on the rear fuel injector causing it to cut in and out and fall on its face. Possibly you have an issue with the wiring that is more severe than mine mine only happened now and then but possibly yours is all the time. The issue was under the tank and near the rear fuel injector hope this helps

Old 07-26-2010, 01:50 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i would bet the injectors are unplugged also be sure your pipes are nice and tight

Old 07-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have any diagnostic codes set?

Old 07-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Royce
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Haven't checked the plugs yet, but have run the diagnostics and came up with these:

P0131 - Front Oxygen Sensor Low
P0132 - Front Oxygen Sensor High
P0134 - Front Oxygen Sensor Inactive
P1353 - Front Cylinder No Combustion

The part number that came up was 32919-07A, but one of the guys on the Softail section said that he'd gotten the same thing and couldn't find the part (I couldn't either). When he called the dealership, they said there was no such part and that what he was looking for was #27659-06, the Throttle Position Sensor. I'm not experienced enough to know whether or not that would cause the problem. But, I did take her out today to see if the problem was still there. She ran great for about the first 10 minutes and then started doing the same thing again.

What do y'all think?

Old 07-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those are some pretty wacky codes you got there! Seems like maybe you have an intermittent connection on the front O2 Sensor. Try re-seating the connection just below your regulator. Also, clear all of the codes, take a short ride, and while everything still seems good check the codes. Then ride till it starts acting up and re-check the codes. That should give you a better idea what is going on with your front O2 sensor.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Royce
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Rain coming in. I did check my plugs and they're both dry. I'm pretty sure that the back cylinder's firing alright, but not the front cyl.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:41 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Royce
Thanks for the feedback guys. Haven't checked the plugs yet, but have run the diagnostics and came up with these:

P0131 - Front Oxygen Sensor Low
P0132 - Front Oxygen Sensor High
P0134 - Front Oxygen Sensor Inactive
P1353 - Front Cylinder No Combustion

The part number that came up was 32919-07A, but one of the guys on the Softail section said that he'd gotten the same thing and couldn't find the part (I couldn't either). When he called the dealership, they said there was no such part and that what he was looking for was #27659-06, the Throttle Position Sensor. I'm not experienced enough to know whether or not that would cause the problem. But, I did take her out today to see if the problem was still there. She ran great for about the first 10 minutes and then started doing the same thing again.

What do y'all think?
I would say your front cylinder is not firing or intermittent! Any recent mods or repair work, what was the last thing you did to the bike? Check for spark on the front cylinder.
CB

Last edited by NoLongerAmember; 07-26-2010 at 07:44 PM.