Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

525-mile day...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 12:57 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 525-mile day...

Left at 8am and did the Cascade loop; Over hwy-2 to Leavenworth for a Bratwurst, then up to Winthrop and back across the Cascades on hwy-20. I've done the N.Cascades Hwy before (West to East) but East to West today was more scenic. If you get a chance, try the loop sometime.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:23 AM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a great ride Patrick but a looong day, hope you had good company! I'd never been over the North Cascades Highway so I took the family that way on my way (in the car) to Silverwood in Idaho on Tuesday. It's a very scenic route, but pretty far out of the way for use on the way to Goldendale next month. We need to get together soon to plan our trip over.
I took the run to Ocean Shores for Sun and Surf this afternoon and damn it was cold on the coast.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:42 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done it Patrick and yes Jeff it's a looong day! Beautiful scenery

Old 07-24-2010, 06:33 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I have made that trip from the Seattle area many times, and it is by far one of my favorite rides. When you make the change from incline to downhill going towards Winthrop and come around that bend, wow, and all the waterfalls.

Someone mentioned cold?....I wish we had a break in the heat here, I am dying to get back to the Northwest. No you made me homesick....

All from a recent trip over the Cascades

525-mile day...-049.jpg

525-mile day...-0497.jpg

525-mile day...-0499.jpg

525-mile day...-0500.jpg

Attached Thumbnails 525-mile day...-0498.jpg  

Last edited by 8541hog; 07-24-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:03 AM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did an 840 mile day or so from an hour west of Nashville to Austin last month, part of my 3500 mile trip (six days on the road) from Austin to Cleveland, D. C., and Richmond and back.

Was tired at the end, but the Corbin seat kept me from pain and I have to say it was thrilling. It was the only day that wasn't at all rainy the whole trip (got rained on three or four times a day) and I just kept twisting the throttle. Got my mind full of those thoughts and patterns of thinking that only seem to happen on long days on the road.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:20 AM
Bznitch
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like the perfect way to spend the day

Old 07-24-2010, 10:25 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

Had that trip lined up with my brother a few years ago, but he ended up needing knee surgery so we never made it. Still on my list of things to do.

My plan would be to make it a two day ride. Probably crossing the border at Osoyoos BC. Anyone want to recommend what town should be our overnight point?

Old 07-24-2010, 10:53 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Winthrop would be good or leavenworth depending on your schedule.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:13 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Blaster, not sure where you're at in BC, but some of the most beautiful scenery I've seen anywhere, ever is the drive up to Blackcomb/Whistler from Vancouver ... there is a stretch of the drive up along the Sound that is breathtaking ....

There is no doubt in my mind that the Cascades have some of the most beautiful scenery in the world ... I used to love the drive up to Snoqulamie or up to Crystal Mountain to go snowboarding ... though I never did ride those routes on my Dyna ....

Sounds like the way to spend a day, Patrick ....

R/
'Chop

Old 07-24-2010, 02:42 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Jeff; Had bro #4 along on the RKC. First time seeing it East-->West...awesome.

8541hog; Nice pix; that Diablo lake looks like someone dumped green dye in it.

Blaster; Ironic...this was prob'ly gonna be my brother's last ride before he has surgery on the 3rd (left ankle fusion). I'd recommend L'worth over Winthrop for overnighting. It's a busy place in the Summer, so make reservations. We had a grilled Bratwurst lunch there yesterday.

Side note: there is a shop tucked into the corner of the 1-way downtown street, called "A Matter Of Taste". They have many items to taste/sample. I dipped two pretzel sticks into a hot sauce called "Mad Dog 357"...357,000 Scoville Heat Units! (Tabasco is < 8000 SHU for comparison http://www.hotsauceworld.com/357maddoghot.html )...OH---MY---GAWD!! Signs warn "DO NOT try this if you have heart or respiratory problems!!", "Parents: DO NOT let your children sample this!!" "PAIN will ensue!!" They're not kidding!

Quick Reply: 525-mile day...