Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Dyna Low Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Azrael
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Dyna Low Exhaust question

I have a new 06 Dyna Low Ride with about 700 miles on it. I am starting to look at pipes for the bike but am unsure what to do about the 02 sensors. I know the VnH pipes allow for O2 sensors but I see most PCIII maps are made for pipes with O2 elimanators.

What is the benefit to removing the O2 sensors from the ECM equation and replacing with O2 elims?

If I leave the O2 sensors on do I really need a PCIII or Fuelpak? Don't the O2 sensors try and correct the fuel curve by themselves?

Do any of you run the VnH with the stock O2 sensors in them?

Old 08-30-2006, 11:39 AM
lowriderfxr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 06 Dyna Low Exhaust question

I run Big Radius with the sensors. I just put a free flowing air cleaner and went to the Harley shop for a remap. They charged me 150.00.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:00 PM
LOU
Cruiser

Vance and Hines makes a very nice slip on that leaves the o2 sensors in place. They can be found at a very reasonable $200.00 and sound like a full custom system.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:32 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whatever you do don't get a DFO and think you'll be able to tune it to make your bike run right with the O2 sensors.Either get a PC3 which bypasses them or a SERT which uses them.The O2 sensors can make some very small adjustments on thier own but not nearly enough to help with a free flowing intake and exhaust.The reason I don't like the DFO is that it uses the O2 sensors to control low rev operation and is not adjustable there.This is exactly where you usually need to tune for less restricive intake and exhaust.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:56 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I used SEII slip ons and a SERT...runs fine.....but you have to let it warm up for a minute in real cold weather.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:48 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the local service manager, any pipe for an '05 can be bolted on to an '06. What he's saying is the exahust ports and frame support brackets will all match up. I havn't taken the time to really look close at the fit, but I wonder if the new oil filler spoutn would be a problem. I suspect with some pipes it will be.

O2 sensor bungs can be welded in to any pipe. It's no big deal. Although, considering the ange of the O2 sensors on the stock pipes, you may have to custom make them for the right angle. Again, not a big deal, but requires more tools and time.

The aftermarket should be stepping up pretty soon, since all new bikes have the sensors. Watch the web sites closely. When Supertrapp offers their 2-1 for the new Dyna's I might buy one. If I can ever get a close look at one on an '05, I might buy one and make my own sensor bungs.

The PCIII is a bad choice for the new bikes, IMO. It's a fine product, don't get me wrong. But they havn't kept up with the new technology. Closed loop is a huge technological leap from fixed map open loop systems. Engines run better with closed loop. To remove it woul be a huge step backwards. When they figure out how to incorperate the O2 sensors, they will be worth looking at again. Until then, stick with the SERT. It's a bit more money, but well worth it.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:00 AM
dajam_fxdli
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: ChrisWillis

I have a new 06 Dyna Low Ride with about 700 miles on it. I am starting to look at pipes for the bike but am unsure what to do about the 02 sensors. I know the VnH pipes allow for O2 sensors but I see most PCIII maps are made for pipes with O2 elimanators.

What is the benefit to removing the O2 sensors from the ECM equation and replacing with O2 elims?

If I leave the O2 sensors on do I really need a PCIII or Fuelpak? Don't the O2 sensors try and correct the fuel curve by themselves?

Do any of you run the VnH with the stock O2 sensors in them?
My understanding of 02 sensors on the 06' are they are what is called narrow band sensor. In laymans terms the operate in a very norrow range, so the amoung of information sent to the ECM is minimal and barely functional in a closed loop sense.

I would recomend the powercommander site for more reading about the PCIII. http://powercommander.com/featintro.shtml

When using the PCIII the 02 sensor eliminators are just resistors that are plugged in the wiring harness after removing the 02 sensors.

My Rinehart pipes came with bungs installed for the 02 sensors, I did have to get two plugs for the pipes though.

I have the same bike and installed the PCIII at 2500 miles had it dynoed now it run a whole lot better.

IMHO,

Dan

Old 08-31-2006, 10:45 AM
dog06bob
Tourer

I put on V&H Straightshots on my 06 DYNA, listed for 05 and earlier, but I can tell you first hand they didn't bolt right up. The mounting bracket bolts on to the tranny. Where the tranny changed in 06, I had to cut and redrill the bracket to make them fit. no big deal it just depends on how far you want to go with it. The PCIII works excellent don't let anybody tell you different. Where it eliminates the need for the O2 sensors in the pipes it allowed me to put on the system I wanted without having to have bungs welded into the pipes.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12230/66937B1C7B954B9D879BD7BB56C5846A.jpg[/IMG]