Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a Rain Suit today!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:27 AM
DMV11982
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering a Rain Suit today!! HELP!

I am getting ready to head out ona 5k mile ride with my pops in a few weeks and need to get a rain suit. I am leaning towards the Frogg Togg Horny Toadz suit. Do any of you guys have an input on that suit or recommend something else! I am looking for something that is obviously going to keep me dry, cool, and that I can pack in my bag!

Thanks in advance

Old 07-23-2010, 09:52 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the HD rain gear and have to admit, they are much better than I expected. HD sells great rain gear although they are not cheap. Has protection from hot pipes too, make sure whatever you buy will not melt on the pipes.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DMV11982
I am getting ready to head out ona 5k mile ride with my pops in a few weeks and need to get a rain suit. I am leaning towards the Frogg Togg Horny Toadz suit. Do any of you guys have an input on that suit or recommend something else! I am looking for something that is obviously going to keep me dry, cool, and that I can pack in my bag!

Thanks in advance
There's no rule that says you have to pay heavy bread for a motorcycle rain suit.

Years ago, I paid serious bread (to me, in those days) for a Harley rain suit. Worked well, good quality. I used it once and.... I'm not sure where it is anymore. Probabaly thrown out as it would be twenty-five years old by now anyway.

I had it hung up in the work shed for quite a few years though. One time. Just once I used it. On a 2,600 mile, there-and-back trip. Rode the whole way. Which -- Ain't gonna happen again.

Anyways, I've seen guys use a throw-away $3 poncho. I've seen guys use a less expensive (much less expensive) boating rain suit and I've seen guys buy the expensive ($250 +) Harley suits.

The questions are -- How often you gonna use it. How much riding in the rain you gonna do (I avoid it like the plague) how dry you wanna stay, how cold will the rain be, and how much you wanna pay for it.

Some of the boaters rain suits are pretty decent and pretty reasonable. But make sure what you want. If you wanna spring for the money for a 'good' one, go for it. Nothing worse than being totally miserable, wet and cold on a bike in the rain. Especially when your brain realizes that you got a LONG way to go before you can escape the misery. You start entertainiing thoughts of selling the bike about that time.

Never a good thing.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:11 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I finally broke down a bought a good rain suit this year. I looked at the Frogg Toggs and I know they are popluar but I just didnt care for them. They also had no protection for pipes. They do sell a patch kit thats you can use. I bought one for my winter riding pants but havent tried it yet.

I went with the HD High visibility suit and I like it. While its not cheap it is priced more reasonablly than some others. I figured when its nasty out anything extra I can do to be seen cant hurt. It works good and only compaint is it takes up a little more room than some others.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

Last edited by bberck; 07-23-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:13 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Grendel4
There's no rule that says you have to pay heavy bread for a motorcycle rain suit.

Years ago, I paid serious bread (to me, in those days) for a Harley rain suit. Worked well, good quality. I used it once and.... I'm not sure where it is anymore. Probabaly thrown out as it would be twenty-five years old by now anyway.

I had it hung up in the work shed for quite a few years though. One time. Just once I used it. On a 2,600 mile, there-and-back trip. Rode the whole way. Which -- Ain't gonna happen again.

Anyways, I've seen guys use a throw-away $3 poncho. I've seen guys use a less expensive (much less expensive) boating rain suit and I've seen guys buy the expensive ($250 +) Harley suits.

The questions are -- How often you gonna use it. How much riding in the rain you gonna do (I avoid it like the plague) how dry you wanna stay, how cold will the rain be, and how much you wanna pay for it.

Some of the boaters rain suits are pretty decent and pretty reasonable. But make sure what you want. If you wanna spring for the money for a 'good' one, go for it. Nothing worse than being totally miserable, wet and cold on a bike in the rain. Especially when your brain realizes that you got a LONG way to go before you can escape the misery. You start entertainiing thoughts of selling the bike about that time.

Never a good thing.
You make some good points, it does come down to how often...
Since I currently live on the east coast where we get dumped on regularly, it seems I use it much more often than I really care to, plus I do a fair amount of long rides, 300-500 miles on a weekend road trip is not uncommon.

Just need to decide how often and what it is worth to be comfortable.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:17 AM
DMV11982
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You all make good points. I generally do not ride in the rain, only if I get caught in the rain. I am only getting one for this trip, as a just in case. But I want a decent one in case we are in rain the whole trip!

Old 07-23-2010, 10:22 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

You all make good points. I generally do not ride in the rain, only if I get caught in the rain. I am only getting one for this trip, as a just in case. But I want a decent one in case we are in rain the whole trip!
I had cheap rain gear on an iron butt ride ( no choice but to ride in it due to time constraints) and regretted it deeply after the first 100 miles, then i bought the HD stuff and have used it several times.
Just food for thought.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:26 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll save you a lot of work!!!

Buy this suit! Don't forget the boot gators too.

BEST money ever spent. plus is all bags up into this small bag.

Last edited by reesestewww; 07-23-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd also recommend some full gauntlet gloves. Without them, the rain blows through and up your rain suit sleeve, to your armpit and down the whole thing, getting you wet. And cold. And pissed off.

I use Deerskin gauntlets. Bulletproof, extremely comfortable, the rain doesn't bother them at all and they breathe better than cowhide or goatskin. I also don't care for the ones with padded palms or ones that are lined. If it's that cold, I'm staying home.

Here's what I bought --

Men's The Gauntlet- Handcrafted Leather Gloves

And I'd buy them again.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:09 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Grendel4
I'd also recommend some full gauntlet gloves. Without them, the rain blows through and up your rain suit sleeve, to your armpit and down the whole thing, getting you wet. And cold. And pissed off.

I use Deerskin gauntlets. Bulletproof, extremely comfortable, the rain doesn't bother them at all and they breathe better than cowhide or goatskin. I also don't care for the ones with padded palms or ones that are lined. If it's that cold, I'm staying home.

Here's what I bought --

Men's The Gauntlet- Handcrafted Leather Gloves

And I'd buy them again.
What a great price! Do they have "thinsulate" in them for the cold?

Quick Reply: Ordering a Rain Suit today!! HELP!