Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Scorcher Tire VS Commander?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:36 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40,027 Likes on 13,516 Posts
Question Michelin Scorcher Tire VS Commander?

HD has endorsed both of these tires as direct replacements,anyone know what the differences are and how well they handle compared to Dunlops?

Old 07-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RAWHIDE07
HD has endorsed both of these tires as direct replacements,anyone know what the differences are and how well they handle compared to Dunlops?
Mine came stock with the Scorchers. Some peeps have complained about the 'buzz' they make when cornering. I think that some folks just don't like something they're not used to. Which is fine. But it don't bother me.

My buddy rode mine and he's got the stock Dunlops on his Wide Glide. He claims that my bike handles so well, he can't believe it. Compared to his. Whether it's the tires or the fact it's a Super Glide? No clue.

I'd be interested in the opinions of those who have ridden on both recently myself.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:19 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40,027 Likes on 13,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Grendel4
Mine came stock with the Scorchers. Some peeps have complained about the 'buzz' they make when cornering. I think that some folks just don't like something they're not used to. Which is fine. But it don't bother me.

My buddy rode mine and he's got the stock Dunlops on his Wide Glide. He claims that my bike handles so well, he can't believe it. Compared to his. Whether it's the tires or the fact it's a Super Glide? No clue.

I'd be interested in the opinions of those who have ridden on both recently myself.
It is nice when shelling out a few hundred $ for two tires to feel you've made a wise choice,maybe someone here has tried both.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:55 PM
DynaRider85
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't tried the Scorchers, my old man has a set of the Commanders on his FXDWG and he loves them. I've rode it many times and the thing I really noticed about the Commanders is how much traction they get on wet roads compared to other tires I've tried.

I always compare prices on tires on Amazon before I buy them. I've had good experiences with MC superstore in the past but after I compared some prices on tires on Amazon I think I found my new place to buy tires.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

www.jakewilson.com

Old 07-22-2010, 02:38 PM
TopKat
Advanced

I have a '10 FXDC with the Scorchers. They do handle well and dont wobble on the rain grooves. Have 5K miles so far. Until now I've always had Dunlops and have had very good luck with them. I've experienced the buzz your talking about and thought it was related to the drilled disc but that may be wrong. I swaped out the stock disc's for full floating and it only changed the buzz slightly. It's most noticeable at low speeds. Just seems to wierd that tires would cause that but like I said what the hell do I know.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TopKat
I have a '10 FXDC with the Scorchers. They do handle well and dont wobble on the rain grooves. Have 5K miles so far. Until now I've always had Dunlops and have had very good luck with them. I've experienced the buzz your talking about and thought it was related to the drilled disc but that may be wrong. I swaped out the stock disc's for full floating and it only changed the buzz slightly. It's most noticeable at low speeds. Just seems to wierd that tires would cause that but like I said what the hell do I know.
Well, Michelin IS a French company and those good folks can be a little -- Interesting?

But I will say that in my long years of buying many, many sets of tires, I trust the Michelin name more than anybody else's. Not even close. At all.

Although I did put the Goodyear F1's on my car because they just look badazz.

Other than that, I've NEVER been a fan of Goodyear. Even the GSC's that came stock on my car didn't impress me that much.

Never been a fan of Pirelli's either. On cars. Just about everybody I know that ever had Pirelli's on their cars hated them. They'll 'flat-spot' from sitting so bad that it takes ten miles for them to get back to round. Sometimes more. Uneven tread wear, poor wet traction etc ad nauseam.

Michelin rules. At least, in my experience they do.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:58 AM
Mk1Racer
Road Master

I went from the stock Dunlops to the Commanders on my WG, and it was like night & day. I really like the way the Commanders ride, but as has been my experience w/ all Michelin tires, they seem to wear quickly.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:25 AM
love4steel
Cruiser

my 2010 FXDB came with the scorchers... I was happy to get michelins as i've always loved their tires, but that buzz is extremely annoying. I brought my bike back to harley as i figured something was wrong with it - i've since figured out on my own that its the damn tires. anyway, the grip seems great but when these are done, i'll more than likely be swapping em for something else to loose that annoying vibration. I dont understand why they (michelin) would release a design that buzzed like this. Anyone else bothered by these tires?

Old 07-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

My '10 FXDB came with the Scorchers also. I'm at 4,300 miles so far, hoping to get another 1,700 or so out of the rear. I haven't notice the "buzz" that's been mentioned, that could be my limited experience of being on a street bike.

My Jeep had Goodyears when it was new, they only lasted about 20k miles. The soft compound was great on rocks but wore out prematurely on the road with the daily driver miles IMHO.

I've always been under the impression that Michelin car tires were a harder compound, and that's why they had a higher mileage rating than the competitor's. I'm a long way from being a tire expert. Glad to see a new thread on the subject, as I'll be looking for a rear tire replacement in a few weeks.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:52 AM
love4steel
Cruiser

thats strange... if you haven't noticed the buzzing then you dont have it. I wonder if it is the tire or not? here's another thread about it with more confusing results..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...cornering.html

Quick Reply: Michelin Scorcher Tire VS Commander?