Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How I put a 200 on my 10WG using stock HD parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 03:27 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default PHOTOS -How I put a 200 on my 10WG using stock HD parts

Ok, no pictures right now, but just imagine a tire filling up that wide glide fender and you have the idea.

I got hold of a takeoff crossbones 200mm wheel, tire, pulley, & brake combo. After alot of careful measuring I mounted the wheel and tire using all stock harley components.

1. Stock crossbones wheel and tire with brake disc. (could use WG disc as same).
2. Used a 09 touring rear wheel axle spacer on the pulley side of wheel
3. used stock WG spacer on RH brake side of wheel between axle brg and brake bracket.
4. used WG axle nut washer between brake bracket and swingarm. Got another washer for the nut.
5. I used the pulley from the Crossbones with the 20mm belt, but I modified it by cutting .1875 from the back. I think a cut of .250 would be very good also.
6. Hardest part was getting a new belt as the only ones available in the 20mm had one more tooth and the primary has to come off to change the belt.

The results are not just awesome looks but also that fat round tire makes the bike in my opinion handle better. I think it has a little more ground clearance in the turns.

So there you have it, if you decide to do it measure, measure, measure. The clearance on the tire on each side is about 5/16ths and after I mounted the tire for test purposes I disconnected the shocks and lifted the swingarm up through its whole travel while spinning the tires. NO rubs at all.

Last edited by FLYER; 07-23-2010 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Updated with photos
Old 07-21-2010, 03:32 PM
ratt196635
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-21-2010, 03:38 PM
PGDredd
Banned

Sounds awsome and I wanna see pics.........but I gotta ask: Couldn't you put a 200 tire on the stock wheel? Not being a smartass, just asking.

According to a couple local shops (not saying they are all that great or anything) the measurments seem to work out to where you could do it on the stock rim......I've just been waiting for my 180 to wear out, or someone else to do it first, lol.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Evil_keeps_me_young
Banned

bump... where the pics?!?!?!

Old 07-21-2010, 07:54 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems to me you could get a 5.5" rim laced up with the stock hub and spokes for a lot less trouble and money.
CB

Old 07-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Joe477
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been researching this because I just ordered a 200mm for my Fat Bob. I have ready several threads and saw pics of FB and WG with 200's with absolutely no modfications what so ever. It will fit on the stock rim with the stcok parts no problem.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:17 PM
PGDredd
Banned

That's what I thought, but I am thinking he fell over a X-Bones wheel for almost or nothing and the little miniscule parts he had to go get were worth the swap.

Good to know either way, can't wait to see pics!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:37 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member

The WG is going to look great with the 200 cant wait for pics.

To clear up some of the other posts

The Fatbob has a wider rim than the rest of the Dynas so some have mounted a 200mm to it with no issues. It is still not as wide as is recommended by most 200mm tires so I would shop around on which 200mm would work best.

The 10 WG has the same width rim as the rest of the Dynas so a 200mm on that wheel is not a safe choice.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bberck
The WG is going to look great with the 200 cant wait for pics.

To clear up some of the other posts

The Fatbob has a wider rim than the rest of the Dynas so some have mounted a 200mm to it with no issues. It is still not as wide as is recommended by most 200mm tires so I would shop around on which 200mm would work best.

The 10 WG has the same width rim as the rest of the Dynas so a 200mm on that wheel is not a safe choice.
Yup! thats what I thought.. but is the X Bones rim 5.5 or 6" ? Read here and there that it's possible to lace it up to the stock SB hub but not wised up about what pulley or belt to use

Old 07-21-2010, 11:19 PM
FLYER
Road Master

Ok guys, I have shot some photos but haven't learned how to post them yet, and I will do so probably tomorrow.

In response to some of the comments, yes I picked up crossbones wheel assembly in new condition for about the same money as buying a tire and mounting it.

Some of the reasons the crossbones works so well is that the tire and wheel combo is already a match and also don't forget the pulley with the narrow belt. There is no way you can put a 200 on a stock wheel and keep the stock width belt and pulley.

So all in all this swap was very inexpensive, less than four hundred, and it works exceptional. And if I resold the stock wheel assembly and belt it would be almost free!

Bear in mind the belt was expensive but absolutely necessary. Maybe I did it the hard way, but at least it was my way.

I got a couple other goodies on the bike so I will post photos but only get to the computer once in a while.

Thanks for the responses.

Quick Reply: How I put a 200 on my 10WG using stock HD parts