Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How I put a 200 on my 10WG using stock HD parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:55 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys. The handlebars are some I had around don't know the brand.

I like the ride now and cornering is improved, more lean before the pegs scrape, but I would like the look of lowering, possibly I might try some of the shock relocation kits to lower about an inch.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Muff Daddy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exhaust slip ons do you have? Hows the sound?

Old 07-28-2010, 05:01 PM
markeejay
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PGDredd
Sounds awsome and I wanna see pics.........but I gotta ask: Couldn't you put a 200 tire on the stock wheel? Not being a smartass, just asking.

According to a couple local shops (not saying they are all that great or anything) the measurments seem to work out to where you could do it on the stock rim......I've just been waiting for my 180 to wear out, or someone else to do it first, lol.
the rim is not wide enough to take a 200, you need to run at least a 5.5" rim other wise the tyre will not sit right. I have just done mine using stock hubs, but lacing up a 18x5.5 rims and a 200/55/18 tyre looks cool as hell, infact it looks that good i am putting the same on the front. Both hubs and rims have been powder coated and fitted polished stainless spoke. Hope the picture shows the work.

Attached Thumbnails How I put a 200 on my 10WG using stock HD parts-dscn3979.jpg   How I put a 200 on my 10WG using stock HD parts-dscn3980.jpg   How I put a 200 on my 10WG using stock HD parts-dscn3981.jpg   How I put a 200 on my 10WG using stock HD parts-dscn3982.jpg  
Old 07-31-2010, 06:46 PM
FLYER
Road Master

Well Daddy the mufflers are modified stock. I took a tile diamond saw and cut the ends square (the diamond saw keeps a clean cut that doesn't chip the chrome). I removed the baffles completely but left the cats in the pipes. The baffle ends I reversed and then painted the ends black. Very good sound, the cats keep some backpressure and there is no popping at all.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:48 PM
FLYER
Road Master

Wow Markeejay you are putting some hard work in that puppy, its gonna look sick, I really like the pc hub and the fixed fender. Of course we'll all be anxious to see it when its done.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:26 AM
MarksBOB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the wide glide looks like it was made for a 200,
I think you could have saved loads of $ by not going to a 20mm belt.
good work anyway.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:22 PM
FLYER
Road Master

Originally Posted by MarksBOB
the wide glide looks like it was made for a 200,
I think you could have saved loads of $ by not going to a 20mm belt.
good work anyway.
In the case of the crossbones wheel being as wide as it is there was no clearance with the stock belt. On the front trans drive pulley the belt is almost rubbing the outside flange and where the belt passes the tire there is 1/8" clearance. So really I had no choice.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 PM
MarksBOB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No clearance for the belt ? must be a different offset to the fatboy wheels.
I'm using a 6.5 rear from an 08 and had to machine 7mm off the pully and have about 6mm clearance to the dunlop tyre. It's not running right up to the outside of the front pulley.
Anyway, the job you did is great and if a 20mm belt is good enough for the 200 tyre fatty it's good enough for your wide glide.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:10 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default crossbones rim on streetbob

I have done some digging here and found that the crossbones rear rim is a 17x6 inch wide. I just wonder why nobody has tried lacing this rim to the StreetBob hub? I see a bunch of guys doing all kinds of machine work to fit the complete wheel on their bikes instead of just using the hub with the proper dimensions to fit their bike.
Considering that many guys have used this wheel on a streetbob, and the fact that many have had an 18 x5.5 wheel Properly built for their streetbobs and had no belt clearance issues with a 200/50/18 tire I see really no reason it wouldnt fit. I measured the belt clearance at the actual rim to belt on a street bob with a 4.5rim and its got plenty of room for tha additional .75 per side that the crossbones rim will need. I may end up being the guinea pig here and trying this rim along with my 21x3.25 front.
For me its a matter of being able to get a matching set of tires and not being stuck with the Screamin Eagle 180 rear tire. I also think the extra rim width looks much more beefy than the 4.5 incher.
Any thoughts?
Worst case scenario will be having to convert to chain drive or buying a .200 pulley spacer for the rear pulley

Last edited by parts eeter; 08-07-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:40 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Smile

Originally Posted by parts eeter
I have done some digging here and found that the crossbones rear rim is a 17x6 inch wide. I just wonder why nobody has tried lacing this rim to the StreetBob hub? I see a bunch of guys doing all kinds of machine work to fit the complete wheel on their bikes instead of just using the hub with the proper dimensions to fit their bike.
Considering that many guys have used this wheel on a streetbob, and the fact that many have had an 18 x5.5 wheel Properly built for their streetbobs and had no belt clearance issues with a 200/50/18 tire I see really no reason it wouldnt fit. I measured the belt clearance at the actual rim to belt on a street bob with a 4.5rim and its got plenty of room for tha additional .75 per side that the crossbones rim will need. I may end up being the guinea pig here and trying this rim along with my 21x3.25 front.
For me its a matter of being able to get a matching set of tires and not being stuck with the Screamin Eagle 180 rear tire. I also think the extra rim width looks much more beefy than the 4.5 incher.
Any thoughts?
Worst case scenario will be having to convert to chain drive or buying a .200 pulley spacer for the rear pulley
So for me it was much easier to just use an existing tire and wheel assembly. The only "modification" was to put the pulley on a lathe (10 minutes) and cut a small amount off the hub contact area.

With the wide rim, 6"as you point out, on my motorcycle there was no room for the standard width belt, neccessitating the narrow 20mm belt.

Selling off the new spare parts, wheel and belt make this almost a no cost swap. Thinking about dismounting a tire, lacing up a new rim and remounting the tire just seemed like a lot of work for me. It appears to me the swing arm widths are the same on the WG vs. the other dynas so what worked for me might work for the rest.

By the way, this larger rear tire and rim has definately helped the handling in the corners, that's just my observation. I did the swap initially just for looks but was very pleased with the corning and ride afterwards.

Next comes the custom sissybar

Quick Reply: How I put a 200 on my 10WG using stock HD parts