Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new Front tire at 5,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced my front tire at 13,100 miles; I've been using the hell out of the two disc brakes on the front of the Fat Bob. I used the front brake less on other bikes in the past, but I just love the way the one's on this bike work, and so I wore that tire out faster than I thought; I still have a few thousand to go on the back according to my assessment, verified by the service manager at my dealer.

I think you can get some more miles out of that one. . . . I'm very impressed with the stock tires on the Fat Bob for wet and dry handling and they've worn well in my opinion; I'm going to keep putting them on.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:37 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Good to hear that I can get some more mileage out of it. I went and double checked the air pressure and it was at 32, I have lowered it to 30 and will see how it feels. Thanks for the replys. Still might have to order tires so they are here when I need them.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:45 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah man I run 30 in the front and 40 in the rear full time two-up or one-up. I go through rear tires faster than fronts, that's why I find it weird that your front is wearing faster than your rear. You find a way to do burnouts with the front wheel?

I've only replaced my front tire once so far... at about 15,000 miles, and now I've got about 26k on the bike. Still plenty of tread left for this season anyway. Just put a new rear tire on Monday (7/19/10). All stock Dunlops -- I buy them at motorcyclesuperstore.com -- check them out to see if they ship overseas.

edit: Click here to see their shipping policy page. No tires or oversized items to APO

Last edited by trip20; 07-22-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member

I just have lots of twisted roads here that wind up and down the Alps....

Yep saw that they really do not support overseas troops. Discount tire will ship car tires mounted on the rims but these people will not ship motorcycle tires. LOL...

Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Airborne350G
I just have lots of twisted roads here that wind up and down the Alps....

Yep saw that they really do not support overseas troops. Discount tire will ship car tires mounted on the rims but these people will not ship motorcycle tires. LOL...
I've been out for a long time, but isn't shipping to an APO the same cost to a shipper as it is to the lower 48? I mean, it goes to what? New Jersey? And then the Military foots the bill for the rest of the trip?

I could be totally wrong on this but I think it warrants a little looking in to.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member

Yep, but a lot of online businesses do not know that. For me it is the same thing as shipping it to NY state.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:54 AM
mike634
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Metzeler ME880s on my Super Glide and like them. They are German tires I think. Maye you can find them there for a good price. Give realhog.com a shot. They ship to an APO. I think some companies don't want to bother with the customs paperwork they have to fill out so they don't ship to or they charge extra for APOs.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, but a lot of online businesses do not know that. For me it is the same thing as shipping it to NY state.
New Yawk, New Joisey -- Whatever

I typed into Google -- Motorcycle tires we ship to APO addresses -- And I got a lot of hits.

A lot of them were eager to point out that they DO ship to APO and FPO addresses. One place even gave a hint on to make sure the address was correct --

Military Shipping - APO/FPO Addresses:
One of the more common questions we're asked is: "What's the correct way to enter a Military shipping address?"
The correct way to enter an APO/FPO address is by using the three Military "States" and the two "City" equivalents:

The 3 Military "States":
  • AA, which stands for Armed Forces (the) Americas
  • AE, which stands for Armed Forces Europe
  • AP, which stands for Armed Forces Pacific
and the 2 "City" equivalents:
  • APO, which stands for Army Post Office
  • FPO, which stands for Fleet Post Office
Based on these components, a typical Military shipping address will look like this:
  • Name
    Postal Service Center + Identifier
    APO, AP ZIP
    USA
- or -
  • Name
    Postal Service Center + Identifier
    FPO, AP ZIP
    USA
Here are some additional helpful hints to remember when entering your Military shipping information:
  1. Make sure you use APO or FPO as the ship-to city.
  2. Make sure you enter AA, AE, or AP as your shipping state.
  3. Make sure you select USA as your country. Even if you are stationed in Iraq or Afghanistan your shipping address is a valid United States address. If you select a country such as Iraq the only shipping option you will have is Global Express Mail which is extremely expensive and will not get your order to you any faster than standard Priority Mail shipping.
  4. UPS can not ship to APO / FPO addresses. If you use NY, CA, or FL as your ship-to state UPS delivery methods will be available for selection. These are invalid methods and we will ship your order via USPS Priority Mail, however your order will take several extra days to process if you pick an invalid shipping method. The United States Postal Service is the only organization that can be used to ship to Military addresses.
  5. Unfortunately, your package can only be tracked as far as the New York, California or Florida drop off point. After your package is transferred to US Military Mail it can not be tracked.
G:
I don't know how accurate or how useful this information is, but it's a start.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:24 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Greg, the picture of your bike is best I have seen in the Forum, by far. Maybe me going thru 101st jump school January 1959 has something to do with it. What do the little dude in lower right corner indicate? ALL THE WAY

Old 07-22-2010, 12:10 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK no replys....

What are your thoughts on these tires:
Avon AV55 / AV56 Storm ST Sport / Sport Touring Radial Street Tires 170/60ZR-17 Rear
Avon AM41 / AM42 Venom Cruiser / Custom Street Tires 90/90-21 Front

and/or
Metzeler ME880 Marathon High-Milage Cruiser Street Tires 170/60R17 Rear Metzeler
ME880 Marathon High-Milage Cruiser Street Tires 90/90-21 Front

Also has anyone ever ordered from motorcycle.com?
I would replace it. You will be amazed at how much better your bike will corner with a tire than actually sticks and you will probably wish you had replaced it from the beginning. It also looks like it has dry rot setting in. Either of the choices you posted will probably work well as would a Pirelli Night Dragon. I will probably get 10K out of the ND front and although I really like it, I am going to try a Venom next time around. You should probably go with the Storm 2 Ultra rather than the Storm ST, the Ultra is a dual compound and should wear better.
CB

Quick Reply: Need new Front tire at 5,000 miles