Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Dumping

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010 | 04:46 PM
Gen3usA
|
6th Gear
Default Oil Dumping

Sorry if this has been already covered but i did a search and came up with nothing. i have a 1981 FXWG 1340,w/ S&S carbon it, went out last night for a run about 35 miles at 55-60 mph, when i stopped, "it appears to be a drain line from the oil pump is ziptied to the lower frame tube towards the rear of the bike", this line puked out about 1/2 cup of motor oil, looked at the back of the bike and it appears it had been puking the whole time, tire covered, oil on the rear fender.....so on. after looking around this must have been a vent tube that would have gone up to the stock carb???? if its puking out all this oil, is there a check valve thats stuck? i fired up the bike to watch it, i got smoke that came out the pipes and then puked out the tube again. any ideas what could be wrong? thank you all in advance!

Old 07-21-2010 | 11:02 AM
FishysFXD
Intermediate

can't help with the problem but a wise man once told me......oil on the tire equals a trip to deaths door. ride safe brother, would definately get the problem solved and reroute the line or install some kind of "oil catcher" before the next journey

Old 07-21-2010 | 05:59 PM
ecvjohnny
Tourer

Like Fishys said, oil on the tire is suicide. Get your bike looked at before you ride it again.

Old 07-21-2010 | 06:34 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

There are several things at play here: First, it could just be the engine is overfilled with oil and with no where to go it has to blow out the bypass. Second, the check valve may be stuck open and letting return oil through the bypass instead of returning it to the resevoir. Third, it could be a more serious problem that will require someone to tear into the engine and fix it.

It's an '81 so it's a shovelhead and probably been abused and misused and neglected for a long time. A complete rebuild may very well be neccessary to address all the problems and that will only be a bandaid for the rest of the systems that have been used and abused for the last twenty-eight years.

Find an independent shop (because there are no harley dealers that will have knowledge of how to work on it) in your area and be prepared to shell out some serious dough or put a for sale sign on it.

Old 08-18-2010 | 05:21 PM
Gen3usA
|
6th Gear

well the bike has not been abused at all, its a beauty, it was my fathers who had recently passed away, it only has 13,000 miles on it, the oil tank was filled to the proper level as the repair manual states to be at, the check valve is what i think is the cultprit, question is now, how hard is it to replace it with new valve, looking at the parts manual i dont see a check valve so to speak that is inline or at the case? any thoughts?
thank you!

Old 08-18-2010 | 06:51 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

If memory serves me right. On the right engine case just in front of the hose connections is a plug with a slot in it, I think that is the check valve or a valve that is directly related to the oil breathing system. Need to find an old clymers manual that will address this little item.