Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG SHOTS ARE ON...worst chrome flaw ever

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010 | 08:48 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default weldment

Originally Posted by UnSamnedBob
These thing had the worst flaw in the chrome I've ever seen. See pic.

Attachment 128548
From your photo that appears to be a weld, not a flaw in the chrome. I think you're good to go. Don't worry about it.

Old 07-19-2010 | 08:55 PM
UnSamnedBob
|
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stng_96
Hmm, well maybe you should at least notify vance and hines now, and see what they want to do, if your worried it will peel

Not sure whether to contact Phatperformanceparts or V&H. They didn't send a packing slip or a receipt or anything.

Old 07-19-2010 | 08:58 PM
UnSamnedBob
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lo-rider
From your photo that appears to be a weld, not a flaw in the chrome. I think you're good to go. Don't worry about it.
Nope it's definitley a flaw. It's right in the bend of the front pipe. Can't really tell in the pic but the chrome is real thick and rough around the bad spot. It looks solid on there though.

Old 07-20-2010 | 01:54 AM
Bob'n'Stang
Cruiser

Since they are on allready V&H probably won't do anything for you but if you can't see it with the sheilds on it shouldn't be a problem

Old 07-20-2010 | 08:02 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 368 Likes on 257 Posts

I just got done reinstalling Big Shots and it was very hard to get the pipes to line up with the motor. I had to really strong arm them to get the pipes to line up the way they should. Every time I got one to fit right the other would be off about 1/8". Finely what I had to do was line up the front pipe and lightly tighten it down and then force the rear pipe in to place and do the same. Not something I would want to do to often. First time I reinstalled I used the SE gaskets and they had a terrible leak, But maybe I didn't have them lined up right. So I got new stock gaskets and installed like I said and they don't leak now. As for your defect in the pipes, if it looks solid and is covered by the shield I would just ride... that's just my opinion...Do what you feel is best.

Old 07-20-2010 | 12:45 PM
UnSamnedBob
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I just got done reinstalling Big Shots and it was very hard to get the pipes to line up with the motor. I had to really strong arm them to get the pipes to line up the way they should. Every time I got one to fit right the other would be off about 1/8". Finely what I had to do was line up the front pipe and lightly tighten it down and then force the rear pipe in to place and do the same. Not something I would want to do to often. First time I reinstalled I used the SE gaskets and they had a terrible leak, But maybe I didn't have them lined up right. So I got new stock gaskets and installed like I said and they don't leak now. As for your defect in the pipes, if it looks solid and is covered by the shield I would just ride... that's just my opinion...Do what you feel is best.

That's the same problem I had with the OEM gaskets and by the time I got them lined up they were damaged. I found that if you aim the pipes in from above at a high angle they went in much easier though.
Do you know what you torqued your flange nuts to on the SE gaskets?
Hell I think I will just ride unless that stuff sarts peeling reel quik. I'll probably be looking at another set of pipes soon enough.

Old 07-20-2010 | 04:06 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 368 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by UnSamnedBob
That's the same problem I had with the OEM gaskets and by the time I got them lined up they were damaged. I found that if you aim the pipes in from above at a high angle they went in much easier though.
Do you know what you torqued your flange nuts to on the SE gaskets?
Hell I think I will just ride unless that stuff sarts peeling reel quik. I'll probably be looking at another set of pipes soon enough.
I couldn't line my pipes on a high angle because the mids get in the way. When I got my bike new from the Dealer they had the flange nuts at 135 in lbs, That's a bit high. I got them at 125 in-lbs and that's still 5 in-lbs over what the Manual says. I think if I had been more careful the fist time, then my SE gaskets wouldn't had leaked so bad. You will know for sure if the are leaking because the bike will backfire like hell when you let up on the throttle.

Old 07-20-2010 | 04:16 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yikes!!! I'd send those back for an exchange before you fire them up. That looks nasty!