Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice for exhaust/intake/tuner

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 02:39 PM
bitchmagnet
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice for exhaust/intake/tuner

Looking for a good exhaust/intake/tuner combination that will give me good all round performance, especially in the low to mid portion of the power band. My stock 2010 FXD that is so quiet I have to watch the speedo to know when to shift. I am also trying not to spend a small fortune. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Wink Advice for exhaust/intake/tuner

I'm running a Thunderheader exhaust system , Screamin Eagle intake with K&N air filter and the Screamin Eagle Race tuner , has ran great for the last 13,500 miles , there are alot of combinations out there i'm sure your going to get alot of replies

Old 07-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bitchmagnet
Looking for a good exhaust/intake/tuner combination that will give me good all round performance, especially in the low to mid portion of the power band. My stock 2010 FXD that is so quiet I have to watch the speedo to know when to shift. I am also trying not to spend a small fortune. Thanks in advance.
I bought mine 5 months ago and asked the same question on this same forum.

I'm still confused as hell. All I really want is for my bike to sound decent and run decent. So I put some slip-ons on it for $250 total and it does just that -- So far.

There's all kinds of threads, even on the front page, about tuners, exhaust, Air Cleaners, etc. Read, lurk, read some more and, in five months, maybe you'll be as confused as I am.

Good luck.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:52 PM
MYKSHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just watch on here for a set of slip-ons. Find a set of Rush 1.75s or 2.0s, the sound is good and you won't have to do anything else. When you get ready to go the pipe, intake, tuner route sell them to the next guy like you. Not a lot of investment. Mike

Old 07-16-2010, 04:03 PM
plumbertom
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A set of slip on mufflers from Cycle Shack are about $200, a SE A/C kit $150 and a set of XIEDs for about $100 ( http://www.nightrider.com/ ) to enrich the AFR just a bit (more to cool the engine down than for performance) should get you what you want.
The slip one will help the sound and the A/C will help the performance.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:09 PM
mikeurig
Road Master

If you want to change where the power is, you need a new cam. There are more questions from people that will pop up here like, Will you go to a bigger motor ?

I'm not going to install a new cam or bigger motor so for me I run Cycle shack slip-fit mufflers, SE A/C and a Vance and Hines Fuelpak.
I had a Power Commander fuel management module but it crapped out on me so I bought the FuelPak from an other member.

The latest thing in mufflers/exhaust systems was the D&D Fatcat system

Mike

Old 07-16-2010, 04:33 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want the power in the low R's a 2-1 where it's at, lowering the gear ratio helps a lot also, these bikes are geared way too tall.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:17 PM
bitchmagnet
Intermediate

That all sounds like good advice. The more I look and read the more confusing it gets. Pretty sure I want a set of 2 into 1's, kinda leaning towards the Bub lakester short version in black, and the speedy flow intake. I'll have to think about the tuner some more. I'm not into programming computers but I am fairly mechanically inclined. A cam swap will probably be forthcoming in the future. Any particular cam set ups you guys run would be helpful info to. Again, Thanks

Old 07-16-2010, 07:42 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a sophisticated 2010 bike, take advantage. This is what worked for me, get a set of slip ons, the rush 2.0 are popular and sound great, then a TTS tuning kit and tune it yourself, its easy. That will give you a great sound and a sweet riding bike, satisfying. If that is not enough for you, shift late and don't let the rpms drop below 2500, the bike will be a blast to ride. Want a little more juice or air cleaner style? put the free flow air filter on and retune using your TTS kit. You are not going to get much low down, but the bike will scream above 4000 rpm. This is where I am and the bike just runs great, very satisfying. Cost me about $800 with new components (don't know if that a small fortune to you, the pipes and tuner were roughly $600). You may find that you are satisfied at this point too, a good custom tune just does so much.

But if that is still not enough for you, then a torque monster drop in cam, some head work including a compression bump corresponding to the cam you select, a 2-1 perhaps LR brand.... retune using your TTS tuning kit.... not satisfied, look into bigger jugs and a lower gear ratio, retune with the TTS, that should have you burning rubber shifting into third....

Most here are happy with a nice sounding set of pipes (a 2-1 is a little better for torque if they like the style and have the cash), a tune, and the free flow stylish air filter. Some here just ride what they got with miles of smiles. You want more serious power, you are into a lot of cash and a lot of options, depending how serious you are. There is much information here and over on the EFI forum..

Many here have tried XiED or fueler module and have not being satisfied (there are also many here satisfied, so you can certainly take a chance). You can't go wrong with a TTS tuning kit on the late model bike, however. You cannot make a harley fast, but you can make it faster and more fun to ride..

Last edited by ColdCase; 07-16-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:44 PM
plumbertom
Tourer

I'd say that's pretty accurate.
But He did say he didn't want to spend a small fortune.
I gave him basic changes at about as cheap as you can go.
Maybe his idea of a small fortune and mine differ.
As Far as Throwing money away on a Xied\, I guess it could be considered that if you are expecting more than what it can deliver.
That set up I described is what I ran while saving and researching what fuel management system would best suit my needs.
More people need to understand that the Xied is only going to change that 14.6 AFR in closed loop to around 13.7 so it wont make a difference in the performance But it will lower the running temp of the engine, and heat is the enemy.

Quick Reply: Need advice for exhaust/intake/tuner