Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 Recalibration FACTS inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:30 AM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stage 1 Recalibration FACTS inside

*Recalibration is required for proper installation, and will allow engine to rev to 6200 RPM. See dealer for details. Labor cost not included.

CAUTION: Dealer installation required – failure to comply may
result in a lean fuel condition and severe engine damage.

CAUTION: Harley-Davidson EFI systems will not compensate
for any component changes. Do not mill heads or increase compression
in any way. Do not use cams other than those supplied
in the kit. Do not change kit components. Failure to comply may
result in engine damage.

These are the disclaimers printed by HD.
Many members are confused about whether the ECM adapts to intake and exhaust changes of the 07+ bikes (06 for the dyna) that use narrow band oxygen sensors. Yes and no are the answers. Let me explain in more depth. In closed loop (below 3750 RPM and under 3/4 load) the ECM will adjust to the parameters of the NBO2 sensors. These parameters are small and will keep you at 14.6 AFR. The open loop map (above 3750 RPM and more than 3/4 load) is not adjusted by the feedback of the NBO2 sensors. They are a preloaded map with AFR of 12.5 - 13.9 that are adjusted for a certain VE. Once that VE is changed by intake or exhaust the AFR will change. How much is the question. I have read as much as .4 which would lead to AFR as high as 14.3 under load which is dangerous. Sure, 14.3 is richer than 14.6 but under load at higher RPMs it needs to be richer - below 13.1 is preferred. That is why HD puts the disclaimers on the SE parts. So yes, without stage 1 remap the closed loop AFR will stay at 14.6 but open loop under load will not adjust and will be leaner than factory preset map AFR.

Last edited by joflewbyu2; 07-23-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:25 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
*Recalibration is required for proper installation, and will allow engine to rev to 6200 RPM. See dealer for details. Labor cost not included.

CAUTION: Dealer installation required – failure to comply may
result in a lean fuel condition and severe engine damage.

CAUTION: Harley-Davidson EFI systems will not compensate
for any component changes. Do not mill heads or increase compression
in any way. Do not use cams other than those supplied
in the kit. Do not change kit components. Failure to comply may
result in engine damage.

These are the facts right from the 2010 Screamin' Eagle catalog. No guessing, no false statements that the newer fuel injected bikes don't need recalibration because the FI will adjust to the increased airflow. Do as you like, but my HD is under warranty, re calibrated and runs great.
Thanks...I just had mine done today...it runs real good..and cooler. Noticeable increase in power..

Old 07-16-2010, 02:34 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These are the facts right from the 2010 Screamin' Eagle catalog. No guessing, no false statements that the newer fuel injected bikes don't need recalibration because the FI will adjust to the increased airflow. Do as you like, but my HD is under warranty, re calibrated and runs great.
Harley does a great job marketing, same story they have been telling for years, but not the whole truth as discuss ad nauseam here and other forums and in quite a few magazines. I think you have to do more than look at the marketing hype or your prone to be a sucker every time..... there are more economical methods if you want settle for good enough.

And why settle for noticeable improvement when you gan get WOW! improvement for a hundred or so more $$. I mean after putting all that money into parts to make the bike run better, why shortchange yourself by being cheap? I dunno

Last edited by ColdCase; 07-16-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:23 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Its a simple fact that when you add more air you need to add more fuel. You
can get away with Screamin Eagle slip ons, but the bikes already run lean.
The Delphi system on late model Harleys does have the ability to self adjust,
a little bit. It is designed to account for component aging, and changes to intake
restriction or exhaust backpressure. It will not adapt to things that affect engine
dynamic tuning such as cam change or exhaust system change such as going
from 2 into 1 to 2 to 2 exhaust pipes. To get the most benefit out of your changes
you should consider an ecm upgrade/program of some sort.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:24 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase
Harley does a great job marketing, same story they have been telling for years, but not the whole truth as discuss ad nauseam here and other forums and in quite a few magazines. I think you have to do more than look at the marketing hype or your prone to be a sucker every time..... there are more economical methods if you want settle for good enough.

And why settle for noticeable improvement when you gan get WOW! improvement for a hundred or so more $$. I mean after putting all that money into parts to make the bike run better, why shortchange yourself by being cheap? I dunno
Man you really nailed that!!!!

Old 07-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Incomplete information. That caution is on some of the SE parts. The a/c and pipes listing has this:
NOTE: Recalibration is required for proper installation. See dealer for details. Labor cost not included.
Notice, it's a note and not a caution. And the pipes alone carry neither caution nor note.
As has been rehashed here countless times, merely changing the pipes requires no other mods. Put on a/c and pipes and you'll exacerbate an already lean condition and won't get best performance without fuel management changes. Make any more significant mods and you need to get serious about it.
Now get ready to duck and run - I'm sure the sky is falling and there's a wolf somewhere.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:10 PM
plumbertom
Tourer
Old 07-16-2010, 04:13 PM
plumbertom
Tourer

Get a copy of the Fall 2006 Enthusiast Magazine published by Harley-Davidson. H-D states in an article in this magazine that the Dephi equipped TC96 closed loop ECM bikes to not need remapping with exhaust and air cleaner upgrades.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:39 PM
hedgehorn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed I have seen it with my own eyes. The 09 will compensate.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:46 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master

Originally Posted by Taddeoeg
Incomplete information. That caution is on some of the SE parts. The a/c and pipes listing has this:
NOTE: Recalibration is required for proper installation. See dealer for details. Labor cost not included.
Notice, it's a note and not a caution. And the pipes alone carry neither caution nor note.
As has been rehashed here countless times, merely changing the pipes requires no other mods. Put on a/c and pipes and you'll exacerbate an already lean condition and won't get best performance without fuel management changes. Make any more significant mods and you need to get serious about it.
Now get ready to duck and run - I'm sure the sky is falling and there's a wolf somewhere.
right from the SE catalog:
SCREAMIN’ EAGLEŽ PRO II
SLIP-FIT MUFFLERS – DYNA
A. Baloney Cut – Chrome
80258-99A Fits ’95-later Dyna models.
EFI models require ECM recalibration
through applicable calibration cartridge
or through EFI Race Tuner Kit. See EFI
Race Tuner Kit fitment or calibration
matrix for possible application. $229.95
Now this is from the race mufflers and not the very restrictive street legal cr@p that they have now. The master tech told me that high flowing pipes with ramps and not louvers would need recalibration. He has 20 plus years experience and races HD too.

Last edited by joflewbyu2; 07-16-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Recalibration FACTS inside