Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check your frame for rust and tell me what ya think...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Andjh123
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check your frame for rust and tell me what ya think...

I was giving my bike one of its seldom washes and I found an interesting area of rust on the frame.

There's two indentation/holes on the insides of the front uprights right above where the weld connects the frame bars to the steering neck--these holes almost look like plug welds. Normally, it's too easy to brush off the rust and then apply some touch up paint but this particular area had me interested, so I sprayed some WD-40 in these indentations. Sure enough, the WD-40 did not run down the frame but wicked away inside these indentations and, as I can only guess, probably ended up inside the frame somewhere. Not a good feeling knowing that I've had moisture creeping inside my frame, especially near a critical weld like the frame-to-steering neck one.

The first pic is for orientation--front cylinder head is on the left and you can make out the two uprights. Any thoughts on this?

Check your frame for rust and tell me what ya think...-comp-1.jpg

Check your frame for rust and tell me what ya think...-comp-2.jpg

Check your frame for rust and tell me what ya think...-comp-3.jpg

Old 07-15-2010, 11:34 PM
Jarhead08
Tourer

looks like places they didnt weld up good enuff, id shoot some rust inhibitor in it and plug it up with some rtv.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:34 PM
AFHuey
Cruiser

I live in England have have the same ****....just different parts. It's a combination of shitty welding and shitty coating from the MoCo. You're going to be chasing this crap for years. Realistically, are you going to own this bike the rest of your life? Is it surface rust or deep joint rust? Personally, I clean the bike and roll with it. I only plan on having this bike another 5 years, then I'll be trading up for the new 2015 street bob with the 125" engine...lol.

All I'm saying is ride your bike man. Take care of it, but don't fret the small ****. Oh yeah...and it's almost always small ****.