Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hard bags on dyna

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011 | 08:29 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
Ed

Morloka's most recent post on the forum is from April '11 ... I did a quick search and he noted on a thread here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ml#post7409087 that they did not have the slim bags two years ago when he bought his ...

... don't know if that helps ....

R/
'Chop

Any photos from the back and the mount brackets?

Old 09-14-2011 | 11:43 PM
DTDK
Road Captain

where did you find the crash bar with lower shields on it?

The old style hard bags were in use from '58-'84 ... same basic shape as the newer/current Road King (Touring models) but have flat inner panel ....

The inner panel on the newer models have an indentation to clear the shocks, which are mounted further back and more vertically oriented than the Dyna shocks ....

I've got the early style hard bags, too (same as Joe / JRK5892 and a few others) ... they are pretty close to the same size, but slightly narrower and taper a little more from bottom to top ....

R/
'Chop

Old 09-15-2011 | 05:49 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

That is a Touring engine guard/crash bar ... I used it for the purpose of being able to mount the Ultra Classic-style fairing lowers ....

It is not a perfect fit without a little help adapting it to a Dyna frame ... also note that I am using Softail floorboards and the bar mounts on tabs on the floorboard brackets (utilizing stand-offs) ....

I just got a set of the fairing lowers in primer finish from Zanotti, if I recall correctly ....

R/
'Chop

Old 05-03-2019 | 09:45 AM
Brent Lear
Stage I

These are Honda bags? Or the shovel head bags? Love the look, would like to find some for my 93 low rider.
Originally Posted by U-234
Tried the Shovel bags but went with Honda bags. I just posted different bags pics and tour pak pics on flickr.

www.flickr.com/photos/mcr-1955/sets

Old 05-03-2019 | 11:26 AM
Trench
Cruiser

My 2006 Super Glide

The following users liked this post:
Jimmy Beller Hollywood (05-13-2019)
Old 05-04-2019 | 10:33 AM
MMH
Tourer

Thanks for posting the photos. I always wondered how the mounts stopped from twisting the in towards the wheel & never realized that both sides were tied together.
There are two types of brackets ... I have the later type that wrap forward around the front of the bags .... The photo below shows how I originally had them mounted ... I had to drill one hole in the brackets themselves in front of the rear-most slot; but, to the rear of the forward two pre-drilled slots used to mount them on the stock rear fender struts ... that hole should be drilled to bolt to the rear bolt of your Dyna's rear fender strut ....

Then, you will need a steel strap of 1-1/4" X 1/8" or similar size ... cut to the length that will span the width of your rear fender strut mounting bolts ... I then drilled 4 holes in that piece as follows: one at each end for mounting to the fender struts and the other two lined up with the original slots on the saddlebag mounting bracket ....

Since this photo, I removed the bolts and welded the bracket to the steel stock ....

The photo below is of the cross brace ... I had been contemplating removing the cross brace tabs and welding them up around the point where they would support the cross brace right behind the lip of the stock fender ... but, then I got an old FLH fender (reproduction) that I am in the process of prepping for installation (replacing the stock Dyna fender) ... so I decided to leave it as is ....

Hope this helps ... I've got another photo or two in my album, I think ....

R/
'Chop

Old 05-04-2019 | 10:38 AM
MMH
Tourer

Those bags look great on your bike!
Dig the Road King Classic bags on the Wide Glide ... look like they were made for it ....

Like WideGlideBry's standard Road King bags, too ....

R/
'Chop

Old 05-06-2019 | 02:35 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

The Switchback is a Dyna with hard bags like the FLH/RK/RG models, so you could look for bags from those, as some of them might not want them, and they would definitely fit, since it's the same Dyna frame.

Old 05-07-2019 | 09:41 AM
Andrew4566
Advanced

Switchback bags use a lower attachment point on the full fender. That would need to be a consideration.

I do think that the full fender suits having hard bags and looks very nice.

-Andy

Old 05-07-2019 | 04:48 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master

I scored a set of bags from a Switchback and I am almost done mounting them on my 07 Low Rider. Still have to do the bottom mount. I also have the quick release sissy bar as well. The Switchback Bags connect to the same mounting points as the rest of the Dyna line. I just bought longer bolts and added the mounts for the bags.

The following users liked this post:
Andrew4566 (05-10-2019)

Quick Reply: hard bags on dyna