Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crack pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:05 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default crack pipe

Noticed a small crack below the 'y' on my exhaust ...

As I was riding home this afternoon I noticed the sound was getting a little louder ... looked down and I saw the crack had spread up and aft ... around to the metal just to the rear of the weld at the back side of the 'y' joint ....

I looked back up at the road to see if I could find a place to pull over and just then heard a grinding sound as the end of the muffler started dragging the pavement ....

By the time I pulled over a few of seconds later, the pipe had cracked all the way around and was being held by about 1/2" of the bottom side of the pipe ....

Left a voicemail for Paughco to see if they'll make it good, but it was after the warranty period by about 60 days ....

Pics below ....

R/
'Chop

Attached Thumbnails crack pipe-photo019.jpg   crack pipe-photo020.jpg   crack pipe-photo021.jpg  
Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a Paughco exhaust? Looks like you've done some dirt dobbing on it and have at one point had exhaust wrap on it. If I'm not mistaken exhaust wrap voids most warranties.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:09 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

What, no muffler support?
My Shovel would crack the left side support for the muffler. Never broke the right side so I put on 2 into 1s. No more exhaust problems. I would like to put duals on the Bob but there nothing to hang the mufflers from. Even a 2 into 1 that would clear the back of the bag would br nice. I wish it had frame mount passenger pegs. Then it would have a solid mounting point.
I wish you luck on your problem.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:52 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing as ghostrider, exhaust wrap would probably void any warranty.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:58 AM
mahagowitz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wrapping the pipes will eventually cause a failure of the base metal as the heat is not dissipated. Think 1450 Deg F, cherry red, plastic metal. Automotive header manufacturers void all waranties on mild steel and stainless systems if Thermal Wrap or Nitrous Oxide is used, as both cause elevated temperatures that cause cracking. In race applications it is used but everything is expendable in racing. Oh and this thread has nothing to do with crack, liar.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:41 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Yeah ... I hear y'all on the wrap ... I got a warning from a muffler shop owner to that effect as well ....

But, you gotta admit ... wrapped pipes look cool as he11 ....

They worked out a deal ... not a 100% replacement or anything, but I feel like they did right by me considering the circumstances ...

I'm just replacing the same style 2-into-1 pipe and going to get an old style 22" goose neck muffler from them too ....

I'll post pics when I get it set up ....

R/
'Chop

(Harv - the muffler bracket rattled loose and fell off)

Old 04-03-2011, 10:12 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Default A couple photos of the muffler bracket

Kind of blew off my last post about posting up pics and I had been getting a few questions about how I mounted the pipes and muffler ....

Had the bike up on the lift this afternoon and snapped a couple of photos ....

I used a length of 1" zinc plated carbon steel stock and drilled three holes in it ... two for the muffler and one for the forward attachment point ....

I attached it in the front to a headlamp mounting block ... I ran a 3" threaded rod down from the stock Dyna muffler mount with a threaded spacer between the block and the mounting bracket ....

I did a little overlay on this photo that didn't show the detail very well ...

These photos show a few little better views of the bracket ....

I didn't snap a photo of it ... but, the front part of the pipe is held up by the clamp that mounts under the cam cover ....

As I had mentioned elsewhere, I believe ... since this pipe is designed for Touring bikes, I had to have the front head pipe bent up a few degrees and IIRC the rear pipe was shortened about 1/2" - 3/4" ....

R/
'Chop

Attached Thumbnails crack pipe-photo055.jpg   crack pipe-photo059.jpg   crack pipe-photo060.jpg   crack pipe-photo061.jpg  
Old 04-03-2011, 10:54 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
...(...the muffler bracket rattled loose and fell off)
There's your problem.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:45 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

unless im missing something,you are going to need to add more support to that muffler bracket.. the pipe is going to crack again soon..it looks like the muffler is supporting the bracket,not the other way around

Old 04-04-2011, 06:08 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

That does look like it got hotter than it was capable of tolerating. I had never considered what that heat wrap does and I imagine it doesn't take very long either. BTW my 09 Electra=Glide 2 into 2 exhaust shows up this week and I might get to start experimenting this weekend. Hopefully my only dilema will be finding some cool looking fishtails that have some muffling in them. Any links for vintage fishtails would be helpful.

Quick Reply: crack pipe