Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust and Air Cleaner Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 01:56 AM
chi45cken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhaust and Air Cleaner Question

I know there is a lot of threads about this BUT I just have a quick question. I have a 2010 fxdb and just recently I put on SE mufflers on without any remapping, changing a/c etc. Did I make a mistake? I was told that I wouldn't need any of these things, but as I'm reading all the other threads it seems to me that there is more than one answer?

I'm looking into buying 2-in-1 Python exhaust. What else would I need for that setup?

Thanks you guys!

By the way, this forum and everyone have been amazing and very helpful!

Old 07-14-2010, 05:44 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will see different answers here because there are plenty of rumors, old wives tales, and folks giving advice that haven't kept up with the latest bike technology.

If you have a tendency to run WOT most of the time its a different story but for cruising the streets and highways and if the bike runs as you would like, then no mistake no risk of damage although you have less margin for error. If you are buying the 2-1s for performance then you should also add a tuner. If the pipes are for sound or style, just put them on and ride miles with smiles. If you find some hesitation or annoying decel pop, then get yourself a tuner. Starting from scratch, don't waste your time/money on downloads. Either hire a pro to dyno tune the bike or get a TTS kit and do it yourself. Although there are other alternatives, you can't go wrong with a TTS kit and you will most likely be happier in the long run.

Adding a free flow air filter and those pythons may be putting you on thin ice, but lots of guys are riding well that way. You are leaving a lot of performance on the table, however, without also tuning the bike.

Last edited by ColdCase; 07-14-2010 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:26 AM
Clocker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase

Adding a free flow air filter and those pythons may be putting you on thin ice, but lots of guys are riding well that way. .
Honest question. What did you mean here by thin ice?

Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Clocker
Honest question. What did you mean here by thin ice?
This might put you close to the limits of what your EFI can adjust for.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:12 AM
chi45cken
Road Master

Oh boy. I really am looking for the sound... However I don't want to put the performance in jeopardy. So you do recommend getting a new A/C and remap for the Pythons?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:04 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chi45cken
Oh boy. I really am looking for the sound... However I don't want to put the performance in jeopardy. So you do recommend getting a new A/C and remap for the Pythons?
Put the pythons on and have fun. Skip changing the air filter unless you also tune. I don't recommend a simple remap as you can put a decent tune on for just a bit more cash. The factory re-map, so called download, is for HD parts. Don't know if your dealer would remap if you have non-HD parts installed.

If you just put the 2-1 pythons on you won't be hurting performance, perhaps even some improvement. You won't be hurting the engine and the sound may give you more riding satisfaction. Most here will give up a little performance for the sound.

Putting a free flow filter on also won't hurt your existing performance, may even improve it a bit. The issue here is not the performance hit, but that the bike is probably running lean when you ride aggressively which puts additional wear and tear on the engine due to the heat generated.

Adding in a tuner will re-callibrate the EFI to the new flow characteristics (Less restrictive muffler and air filter) which boosts performance significantly, livening up the bike, provide you with more riding satisfaction. Just adding a tuner to a stock bike boosts performance.

You can hire someone to tune the bike or do it yourself with a TTS tuning kit.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

the rule of thumb that i have used (not saying this is 100% right all the time) is that you can change the pipes or intake without a remap, but if you do both you will probably need a remap.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:50 PM
illlogic187
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you can change either one or the other... If you want to put the pythons on especially a 2-1 would not hurt you... But if you want to change the air cleaner as well you need to get it tuned. Nice to see ya on here

Old 07-14-2010, 11:22 PM
chi45cken
Road Master
Default Stalker ;-)

Originally Posted by illlogic187
Yes you can change either one or the other... If you want to put the pythons on especially a 2-1 would not hurt you... But if you want to change the air cleaner as well you need to get it tuned. Nice to see ya on here
Hehe hey hey illllogic :-) how goes it? I'm glad to see you too! We should chat it up on aim.