Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long will factory black engine finish last?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 02:39 PM
dxrich
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how long will factory black engine finish last?

does anyone have an idea about how long the black engine finish on the dynas last. I am considering a 07 street bob. but I would like to know if the finish lasts as long as the silver or is there some special care that should be taken.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:25 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: how long will factory black engine finish last?

Well..black is more expensive...not sure if that is based on durability, or the fact that the manufacturing is more involved.
I really don't have an answer for you..but I can tell you...Someone on this board, a while back, mentioned brake caliper cleaner to clean oil spots on the engine. Since then, I take a toothbrush, spray a little caliper cleaner on it, and any dirty spots on my engine clean up right away. Don't get me wrong...I'm not shooting caliper cleaner all over the engine...but when I see a dirty spot, a little bit on a brush takes it right up.

Todd

Old 08-28-2006, 04:31 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It appears to me to be a baked on powder coat type finish, not 100% sure, but if it is it ain't goin' nowhere. If you've ever ordered automotive parts that had powder coat where you didn't want powder coat and you have to remove it. It's a pain that usually requires some power tools. Thick enough to prevent screws and studs from fitting in their correct locations.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:28 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<”dxrich “>

<”does anyone have an idea about how long the black engine finish on the dynas last. I am considering a 07 street bob. but I would like to know if the finish lasts as long as the silver or is there some special care that should be taken.”>

One of my buds has a shovelhead (older than mine) as old as some here : - )

It looks as good as the day it was new.

Don’t wash it ever w/engine cleaner (don’t laugh I heard someone did that) use the mildest soap for real oil/grease try (not straight) Simple Green, if you need it.

His secret, after washing let it dry then spray Armorall, let it dry wipe up any puddles use blue shop paper towels, use a cheap 1” paint brush in-between the fins, you can spray the armorall in the cap/lid/pint paint can and use the brush over the whole engine, not as messy.

The last time I heard HD wasn’t painting engines w/powder coating, good thing it’s kind of like plastic, not to good in cooling, if you know what I mean. Just check-out S&S none of their engines are painted black, their jugs are powered coated go figure.

Try or not, that is what I learn from him

cj

Old 08-28-2006, 07:36 PM
Angry_Inch
Road Master

This is a good question, and I would like to know as well.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Pauly
Advanced

Well dxrich , I've had mine for comin' up on 14 yrs and the black is still there. I don't do any special procedure to clean it. I just wash it with normal everyday car wash soap.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:01 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

<”Angry_Inch”>

<”This is a good question, and I would like to know as well.”>

What, you didn't like my answer ?

cj

Old 08-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

S100 makes some stuff also that is supposed to keep it looking good and black. I think there might be a tendency for it to turn grey if the soap you use to wash the bike is not completely cleaned off over time.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:36 AM
Matrix
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Pig Spit to keep your blacked out engines looking their best. Check out this link

https://www.hdforums.com/m_725861/mp.../tm.htm#725868

Old 08-29-2006, 12:59 AM
WgSkee
Road Captain

cj_slowdown... Your info is correct as I know it to be... In other posts I mentioned that I painted a few of my engines BBQ Black or High Heat Black after I burned the paint in I'd hit it with WD-40 never blistered or flaked... I don't want to start a debate.. But, it's been said a black engine will dissipate the heat more efficiently... as long as it's not more than [sm=biker2.gif].5 mils thick...

Quick Reply: how long will factory black engine finish last?