Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque cones

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 PM
essentialcycle
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque cones

I just ordered a set of 40" drag pipes of ebay. They come with no flanges, but all the other mounting hardware. I plan on ordering a install kit with flanges, gaskets and nuts. Does it matter what brand or type of torque cone I should use for the best result? I found a kit for around 35 bucks. They come wiht steel reverb cones. Some of the ones I've checked out online have different shapes to the cone like a tapper. Does this really matter? I don't want to order a kit and get shitty results just to save a buck. I couldn't come up aith the cash for some v+h pipes, so I want to make the best out of the drags.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:47 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

You take the flanges off your existing pipes. They are just held on with a large clip. It pops off and you reuse flanges. At least thats how mine went on.

I recently installed torque cones from V-Twin on my 40 inchers. I'm sure they are as good or bad as any other brand. I can assure you that I am pleased with my results. Bike sounds great and runs as good or better than it did with the stock exhaust system. Sure, there are better exhaust systems that make a tad more power, but I think drags still sound the best. Torque cones DO work. You may get a few nay sayers, but likely only from people who never had or tried a set but are great at regurgitating internet fodder. Torque cones increase midrange torque on drag pipes. Plain and simple. I know, I actually tried them out and have them installed on the bike in my garage. The theory was explained by a guy on this very board like this. Think of a garden hose. Leave it open and turn on the water. Water just flows out. Now install a garden nozzle and adjust it to a high flow stream. THATS the benefit you'll get with the cones in increased exhaust flow threw your pipes, along with some reverb thing I'll never quite understand..

Besides that, you can always add baffles latter if haveing a really loud bike ain't for you.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 07-13-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:21 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 567 Likes on 394 Posts
Default Throw the torque cones in the garbage

Get yourself a pair of Khromwerks HP+ drag baffles.You'll love the sound........and the power.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:47 AM
essentialcycle
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I ordered the torque cones last night. Got them at a real good price. I guess I'll see how it all is when said and done. Still think I have a jetting issue, but maybe it will be good after the pipe change. I can't wait to get them. I have this jingle bell sound coming from up in the front of the pipes. I can tap them, or when it's running it jingles. The cross over pipe by the trans is also leaking. It's gonna be a different creature.