Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratches on Gas Tank :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 05:48 PM
christopheramos
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratches on Gas Tank :(

Hey guys. I was waxing my ride recently, and noticed 2 small scratches on the gas tank. They are deep enough that regular waxing and rubbing won't get them out. But they don't reach down to the paint.

To be honest, if you were looking at my bike, I'd have to point them out to you. But now that I know they are there, I can't stop staring at them.

They aren't bad enough to warrant a full repaint of the gas tank.

Any ideas on how to get rid of these scratches?

Thanks as always!

Old 07-12-2010, 05:52 PM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally got my wife to ride with me this past weekend ... she's 4'11", so she had some issues getting on the bike. She put her hand (with wedding rings) on the tank to scoot up and added some scratches ... I guess I'll call it adding character.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:00 PM
christopheramos
Intermediate

Yeah, I suppose. I guess what I am wondering is if there is any scratch removal product on the market that REALLY (truly and honestly) works. There's a lot of crap out there that doesn't do what the makers promise, we probably all know that. So I thought I'd ask if anyone has found a product that really works.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try Lemon Pledge. It worked for me!

Old 07-12-2010, 06:16 PM
DynaRider85
Advanced

Wedding ring scratch, ouch! I had little scratches like that on my tank from using a micro fiber towel that had dust in it. After riding 30-40 times after I don't even notice them.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:17 PM
christopheramos
Intermediate

Seriously? Lemon Pledge worked for you? How deep were your scratches, Maclugie? Deep enough (like mine) where normal waxing and rubbing wouldn't work?

Old 07-12-2010, 06:23 PM
christopheramos
Intermediate

Wait, wouldn't Lemon Pledge hurt the paint job? I mean, isn't that a product for cleaning wood furniture?

Old 07-12-2010, 06:29 PM
stonesmith
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had some luck removing fine scratches with Meguiare's scratch x.I use a piece of that foamish type packing paper instead of a cloth because it doesn't absorb the compound. I rub by hand until I no longer feel any abrasives . then do the same with a glaze followed by a coat of good yellow wax ....no more scratch. Good Luck

Old 07-12-2010, 06:40 PM
christopheramos
Intermediate

Thanks guys. I just ran across this quote in another post. I can't vouch for the truthfulness or accuracy of the statement:

"Lemon Pledge temporarily fills the scratches - and it does a great job, but to actually remove the scratches go to your Harley dealer and buy Novus Scratch remover - works like a damn!"

I've never heard of Novus Scratch Remover. I'll see if the local HD dealer knows anything about it. I will also look it up on Amazon. I've found that Amazon is a pretty good place to read other peoples reviews about products before buying them. I don't know about you guys, but thanks to my ride, I'm already one poor dude!

Old 07-12-2010, 06:53 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

take a cup, put 2 drops of dish soap in it. soak a 2000 grit sand paper in that. get the tank really wet and lightly sand on the scratch... then clean that off. take some polishing compound... i like turtle wax polish and put that on a micro fiber. polish out the scratches... then wax and your golden...

a bit scary i know taking sand paper to your tank but use a light hand and you will be fine man! i do it almost daily on customers paint with cars and bikes

The following users liked this post:
mitch69691234 (06-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Scratches on Gas Tank :(