Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:22 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trailer hitch

Anyone on here have a trailer hitch for a WG? I'm just wonder how much they run, if it comes off easy when not in use, and what it looks like.

I've been thinking about putting on a hitch and getting a trailer to tow for my long camping trips just to make life a bit easier. We all know how much it sucks when your bike gets too top heavy from stacking stuff. Any input is appreciated.

As far as those of you that say, "take less stuff," or "trailers suck" even though you don't camp for a week and have never pulled a trailer, keep it to yourself and let the adults talk.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:35 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Have you tried google? I just did and came up with a lot of hits.

http://www.motorcyclehitch.net/

Also, using the search function on the dyna forum with words like "hitch" or "trailer hitch" will probably get you some threads such as:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ide-hitch.html

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 07-12-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:47 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Nobody makes one for the dyna that I know of. Primarily because the GVWR is too low to support it. The frame will take the stress, but the fender struts wont, and they will be the main means of support for the hitch. The slightest mishap WILL total the bike, and you can kiss your warranty goodbye.

With that being said, Ive seen stranger things done. With a fair mount of engineering and a little luck, you can pull it off. Keep in mind that side stresses applied to the trailer (rain grooves, wind, etc) is liable to send you *** over applecart. Although, if you keep your trailer weight low and the tongue weight even lower, try it.

If youre serious about going ahead with this, consider changing the final drive to a 30 tooth pulley, and adding a mild cam to the motor for a minor increase in torque

Old 07-12-2010, 04:08 PM
WooDah
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a trailer hitch on my bike from http://www.produits-denray.com/, trailer weighs in at 150lbs, loaded with my camping gear tops at 350 lbs with a tonque weight only at 15lbs. It really depends on the design of your trailer and how you load it. Mine pulls fine with no probs.

My hitch design bolts to the docking piont, it allows the hitch to be removed with 4 bolts, but it deos leave a 10" chrome bar nstill attached to your docking bolts.

there is also another thread at https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ler-hitch.html

When I get time I will take somepictures for you

Last edited by WooDah; 07-12-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:43 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior

I checked out the past links, not much for pictures or how it attaches to the Dynas. A lot of different info on touring bikes and Softails though. I was hoping for some good testimonials and some pics. Hell even someone that has made one and can give me a few pointers on where they went wrong and what to do different.

Most of the hitches are $250-$550, it's a large window for prices. I'm wondering if the $550 is really worth it over the $295. The past threads had a lot of links, but most of these manufacturers don't have a picture of their hitch on a Dyna, I'm not about to drop $300+ and when it comes I hate the thing or the way it attaches.

I'ld love to see some pics WooDah, and anyone else that has one.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:26 PM
WooDah
Novice

Here is a picture

I'm going to the Denray dealer in August, when I go to the Quebec HOG rally. I can tell you the design of the hitch wants the bar or tube place below the docking bolts, which is not good because I have gone through 2 upper belt guards. As you see in the picture I have it above the bolts now. but I can not use my detachable backrest when the hitch is on. I have made a new bar so I can use the detachable docking points. I will post more pictures tommorrow afterwork.

Last edited by WooDah; 07-13-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:36 AM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior

Looks good WooDah, thanks.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:26 PM
WooDah
Novice

Here is the updated version to allow me to use my docking points. I had to make my own bar. once i get to Quebec HOG Rally and talk to the Denray dealer I will get them to make a newer version then thiers. (manuafacture version bar hit the upper belt guard)

Left Side

Right Side

Back View

Manufacture original Location

Manufacture original Brackets

My Trailer

Last edited by WooDah; 07-13-2010 at 03:29 PM.