Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All most lost it yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

On my old Super Glide I lost it and didn't notice it for a long time. I didn't even know it was gone. My buddy next door just noticed his was gone when I pointed out that it was missing. He had no idea how long it had been gone.

Not sure what they're for. What do they tighten down? The cable itself? I never really thought about it much. To me, it's just there. I check it once in a while. Sort of.

The only reason I haven't taken it off is, to me, if I remove it it's just another place for moisture to invade. Or dirt. Whatever.

When I put my new grips on I put some dry graphite in/around the throttle cables where they exit. The throttle seems a little 'jumpier' to me now. Maybe it's me. Maybe it's the slack in the cables not being exactly right. So I tightened down on the 'cruise' dealio and it seemed to control it a little better. Maybe I shouldn't have. Dunno fer sure.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:17 AM
GasserNorm
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good save man!

On another note, I stole (borrowed) your handle bar setup. I hope you don't mind. I lack good ideas when it comes to customizing.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Wonkaboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Grendel4
On my old Super Glide I lost it and didn't notice it for a long time. I didn't even know it was gone. My buddy next door just noticed his was gone when I pointed out that it was missing. He had no idea how long it had been gone.

Not sure what they're for. What do they tighten down? The cable itself? I never really thought about it much. To me, it's just there. I check it once in a while. Sort of.

The only reason I haven't taken it off is, to me, if I remove it it's just another place for moisture to invade. Or dirt. Whatever.

When I put my new grips on I put some dry graphite in/around the throttle cables where they exit. The throttle seems a little 'jumpier' to me now. Maybe it's me. Maybe it's the slack in the cables not being exactly right. So I tightened down on the 'cruise' dealio and it seemed to control it a little better. Maybe I shouldn't have. Dunno fer sure.
It's a manual Cruise control when you thumb it / turn it clockwise it puts pressure on the inside of the throttle grip to release you have to back it off , it's good for long rides on the highway but with no traffic !!!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Wonkaboy
Banned

Originally Posted by GasserNorm
Good save man!

On another note, I stole (borrowed) your handle bar setup. I hope you don't mind. I lack good ideas when it comes to customizing.
That's Ok i stole it ( borrowed ) from somebody else now somebody will borrow it from you !

Old 07-12-2010, 11:28 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Since you or your bike didn't get hurt ..... that's f'n hillarious!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:30 AM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you saved it and nothing worse happened, that is a lot of bike to throw around and keep up right.
CB

Old 07-12-2010, 11:36 AM
ultrat
Road Master

don't forget to remove the shoe inside the housing....may have been mentioned

Old 07-12-2010, 11:42 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i have been there! i rock gloves full time... in the cold leather, in the summer i have a set of fingerless gloves i got from wallmart. i love them! i just laugh everytime someone has a smart *** comment about my fingerless gloves... i have been down... several times... takes forever for your hands to heal up from road rash!
alot like this

Old 07-12-2010, 12:47 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonkaboy
Wow so sorry for her , and i'm not a new rider either, like i said i ride with both my hands close in toward the controls with gloves on ( always did ) it finally turned in enough to put enough pressure to hold the throttle because after i got it under control i felt the throttle grip snap back like it was stuck then i check the thumb wheel and it was far in and tight i had to back it off , this sudden tightness must have happen as i took the corner because i put on over 70 miles with no problem after that happen i rode another 40 miles and kept checking the thumb wheel for binding and it was fine, this happen to me before years ago but not like this , i'm taking the thumb wheel out of there tonight anyway because i don't use it....
There ain't NO WAY you could lock down that throttle lock SO TIGHT that you could not twist the throttle back to the idle possition. YOU CAN lock it down accidentally tight enough so it will not snap back to the idle position if you simply release the grip, but you should never rely on the spring to return the bike to idle! If you want to slow down, twist the grip to the idle possition, period. Never rely on the spring at the carb to do that for you. Even if you remove the throttle lock, DO NOT trust the spring to return the carb to idle. Springs break and fail. You need to put the throttle into the idle possition!!! Twist the wrist!

Last edited by rh8234; 07-12-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:01 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Agree. That was exactly my point and why I suggested their may be some other problem. Would hate to hear about it locking up again and maybe not end up as well.

The OP seems sure that was the problem though, and he is the one riding it.

Originally Posted by rh8234
There ain't NO WAY you could lock down that throttle lock SO TIGHT that you could not twist the throttle back to the idle possition. YOU CAN lock it down accidentally tight enough so it will not snap back to the idle position if you simple release the grip, but you should never rely on the spring to return the bike to idle! If you want to slow down, twist the grip to the idle possition, period. Never rely on the spring at the carb to do that for you. Even if you remove the throttle lock, DO NOT trust the spring to return the carb to idle. Springs break and fail. You need to put the throttle into the idle possition!!! Twist the wrist!

Quick Reply: All most lost it yesterday