Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Necessary Mods w/ new eshaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:13 PM
ScottyF
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Necessary Mods w/ new eshaust

I've heard different things and am sure I probably will on here. With the V&H short shots installed, will there be any other necessary mods I will have to make, or will the bike run fine....everything else is stock for now.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:13 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Are you indirectly asking if you need to run some form of fuel management (pcIII / V, fuelpak, sert, etc)?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Denny69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have to do something with carb or EFI, depending. Consider a stage 1.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:17 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

With just the exhaust, you can use the Nightrider XiED's to help the AFR.... http://www.nightrider.com/parts/

I use them and they removed all the surging from the O2 sensors switching on and off and cooled the bike off 30 degrees since they enrichen the bike.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:46 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have a late model O2 sensor bike, tuning the EFI (or adjusting it) is only necessary if you don't like the minor driveability difference or you don't like the decel pop. Your bike may not run as well (if you can even notice it), but it certainly won't hurt anything, so is it necessary... no. Lots of guys are running that way without issue.

In fact, it will sound so good that your seat of the pants impression may be loads more power... but you don't have more power unless you also tune the EFI.

Start toying with the air filter, then the divability impact is more noticeable but it still probably won't hurt anything. But if your investing in a AF for performance, it makes sense to also retune to get the most out of it.

Last edited by ColdCase; 07-12-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:53 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

With just an exhaust change you do not NEED to do anything else, yes you might gain from some other mods, but unless you add more air to the mixture you will be ok just changing the exhaust. If you change to a higher flow intake then you would need to add some type of fuel management.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottyF
I've heard different things and am sure I probably will on here. With the V&H short shots installed, will there be any other necessary mods I will have to make, or will the bike run fine....everything else is stock for now.
I would just ride it for now and see how it reacts. Generally speaking, it's when you do both air and exhaust that the need for a tuner becomes critical.

Every bike reacts differently. Some folks swear you don't need a tuner if you change the air cleaner only but I don't necessarily agree with that. I, personally, don't see the need for a tuner if all you're doing is just a reasonable exhaust mod.

I put slip-ons on mine and (so far) it seems to be doing just fine. Time will tell.

The only thing that's measuring anything after the combustion chamber is the O2 sensors. Somebody needs to explain to me why and how a reasonable exhaust system can affect the O2 sensors. All they do is read the amount of unburnt oxygen present in the exhaust. They're just reading the amount of oxygen present in the exhaust evacuated from the combustion chamber in order to keep it at stocih so the catalytic converter can do its thing. Neither of us has cats, so we don't care. The computer doesn't know we don't have cats and also doesn't care. But it's not an especialy bright computer either. Which is good for us. Sort of.

Now, if you change the air cleaner AND the exhaust, then that's a whole new ball game. Everything goes out the window.

Notice I said 'reasonable' exhaust changes. That's a cop-out on my part. Technically, exhaust can (in theory) change what's happening on the intake side of things. That's why I said to 'see what happens'.

Ride it.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:20 PM
ScottyF
Novice

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Are you indirectly asking if you need to run some form of fuel management (pcIII / V, fuelpak, sert, etc)?
Yes thats what I'm asking.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:51 PM
terrible1one3
Advanced

Should you tune it? Absolutely
Do you HAVE to tune it? Absolutely not...

It's a 15k dollar bike. Spend the few hundred extra and get your money's worth. Stage I kit and a tune (I did HD "Super Tuner").

Old 07-12-2010, 09:58 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by terrible1one3
Should you tune it? Absolutely
Do you HAVE to tune it? Absolutely not...

It's a 15k dollar bike. Spend the few hundred extra and get your money's worth. Stage I kit and a tune (I did HD "Super Tuner").
If he is not replacing the AC (adding more air flow), there is no reason to spend the money on tuning it, I seriously doubt there would be any noticeable gain from the expense.

Quick Reply: Necessary Mods w/ new eshaust