Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowers and Wind Deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 06:29 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Lowers and Wind Deflectors

Show me some pics of your Memphis Shades lowers/deflectors or any other lower or wind deflector...how are they mounted and do they stop head buffeting?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:21 PM
karlkcfi
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a picture from my cell phone. The lowers move the wind around so the buffetting is not as bad at interstate speeds. Interestingly enough when I lean back about 2 inches the buffeting stops almost completely. I am looking into some kind of new riser configuration to move me backl. It is like the wind is deflected by the lowere then hits my shins and comes up and the buffet dance begins.
Good luck!

Attached Thumbnails Lowers and Wind Deflectors-concho-co2.jpg  
Old 07-11-2010, 12:31 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by karlkcfi
Here is a picture from my cell phone. The lowers move the wind around so the buffetting is not as bad at interstate speeds. Interestingly enough when I lean back about 2 inches the buffeting stops almost completely. I am looking into some kind of new riser configuration to move me backl. It is like the wind is deflected by the lowere then hits my shins and comes up and the buffet dance begins.
Good luck!
Yeah..I was a 21G...P1a....LOL.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had much the same results as Karlkcfi.. the wind noise and turbulence are not
eliminated, but greatly reduced. We get so many crosswinds out here that it's difficult
to test the results of different angles but with my setup, I've found that having
them almost flat on to the air flow is giving me the best results.

What's a real hoot is that occasionally they'll scoop up a bug and plaster him on the
INSIDE of the windscreen..

This is a December 09 photo. The lower inside edge has been radiused to give clearance
over the Superbrace fork brace. If you are not using this kind of brace, there is no
need to radius that edge.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:45 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,923 Likes on 1,257 Posts

I have a 16" windvest and the Memphis Shades lowers.
I'm experimenting with different tilt angles and heights with these screens. I'm able to tilt the windvest back (at the top), seems to do better there than if it's at the same angle as my forks. I have the lowers pulled back (at the sides) also. This setup is SOOO much better than a Harley QR screen, I can easily read signs on the freeway. I have a Sundowner seat that is cut down a bit and a backrest so I sit tall and can easily see way over the shield. I'm thinking about ordering a custom 18" screen with 1" extra on top and bottom, if they can do that.
It's nice, it's much better, but it's not over, still working on the problem.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails Lowers and Wind Deflectors-045c.jpg  
Old 07-11-2010, 02:46 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ill snap some pics of mine tonight for you, i took the smame ones they use on trouring bikes, driled them and tapped them to the supports for the shield... of course i powded them all black. granted i have a stearing damper but there is no buffering and the wife and i can carry on a converstaion no problem i only put it on if i am going to be doing over 200 or so miles highway... but they came out great and look pretty mean as well... i will get some pics up tonight for ya

Old 07-12-2010, 10:34 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

here is a shot of mine

stored waiting for a long ride

Last edited by JRK5892; 02-09-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:14 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't understand all these complaints about buffeting. I just wear my Jack's Flaps and the buffeting and wind noise behind the shield is all but eliminated. I put it on over a t-shirt, or heavy jacket, and that's all I do. I'm still a smoker and just ride and smoke my cigarettes and enjoy the comfort of not being beat all to s--t and don't have any buzz in my ears when I get where I'm going. It's hard to convince folks that the vest really does work---strange

Old 07-12-2010, 01:29 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,923 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxdwg
I can't understand all these complaints about buffeting. I just wear my Jack's Flaps and the buffeting and wind noise behind the shield is all but eliminated. I put it on over a t-shirt, or heavy jacket, and that's all I do. I'm still a smoker and just ride and smoke my cigarettes and enjoy the comfort of not being beat all to s--t and don't have any buzz in my ears when I get where I'm going. It's hard to convince folks that the vest really does work---strange
Not strange really, I/we just need a FLAPS-UP picture to decide if it's something I/we would wear. With my setup I'm wearing a t-shirt period and no buffeting but am always looking for different ideas.

Mike

Old 07-12-2010, 03:36 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
Not strange really, I/we just need a FLAPS-UP picture to decide if it's something I/we would wear. With my setup I'm wearing a t-shirt period and no buffeting but am always looking for different ideas.

Mike
What I was getting at Mike is, you buy a shield for your bike, yea it keeps the big stuff off but the buffeting sucks so you buy another shield, no go, then you finally buy lowers and the buffeting is gone or, at least acceptable. I'm saying most of the money people spend is wasted money because in most of those cases the vest would have taken care of the problem with the original shield that you bought. How many millions have been spent swapping windshields/taking it off halfway and chucking it in a ditch looking for a solution???, think about it, about the only place I care about buffeting is my head. If my head is happy, I'm happy

Quick Reply: Lowers and Wind Deflectors