Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky you live Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 05:57 PM
marinepilot81
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Marinepilot81,

How is the 113 build currently? Sounds like you had a very bad experience with the guys in Waipahu. How does the bike run now? Did you get it sorted out? Who completed the build?

I will eventually do an engine build, perhaps next year. I am very interested in determining my options for the build. Thanks in advance.
If this is hijacking the thread I apologize, but since we're talking about Hawaiian dealerships, this seemed relevant.

The bike runs better now after swapping out Thundermax for TTS tuner, tweaking the program, and de-tuning the bike a bit. EVEN IF I could say the bike is having zero problems it doesn't negate the fact that south seas waipahu took over a month to complete a 5-7 day build.

I did the EFI swap myself and I'm TOLD that putting a 2-1 pipe on the bike will fix some of the other issues. Now, I'd like to tell you what exactly is wrong with the bike, but none of the dealers on the island would do me the courtesy of doing a compression check to make sure the bike was assembled correctly. There's your "aloha spirit" for giving $6000 to the MoCo.

The island DOES NOT...and I repeat...DOES NOT have the capability of tuning the engine off a dyno. I called every single shop and none of them said they could do a dyno tune. With the 113 build you absolutely must get a tune thrown on it and you're SOL on the island.

My plan - before finding out I was deploying again - was to ship the bike to Steve at GMR in AZ at my own expense. Note: Harley Customer Service wouldn't help pay for the shipping. Maybe that's too much to ask, but their boys screwed it up...why not help fix it?

Overall:

Dominco's: friendly people, but poor selection of parts/bikes. I just never got that "warm fuzzy" from them for serious maintenance.

South Seas Waipahu: I'm not an emotional being, but I stared at a picture or my HD for 7 months in Afghanistan and will never forgive them for screwing up 113 kit "deployment present" for myself. I wanted to get off the plane and ride...but spent another 3 weeks fighting lazy, dishonest people. Now, after all of that...you would think they would AT LEAST wash the bike before giving it back, but no, they're "welcome home from Afghanistan" was rust and corrosion that I spent days polishing off.

Cycle City: best selection of parts/bikes. I'm a little P.O.'ed that they wouldn't run a compression check under warranty, but whatever. And seriously, they were selling a USED Sportster for 13,500 bucks. MSRP on that bike NEW is 10k. Seriously, brah?

The bottom line is that Hawaiian businesses have the "where else you go, brah? You on an island!" attitude and it's represented at the HD dealer, as well. You do not have the support for serious EFI builds here and I would HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend getting everything taken care of on the mainland before coming home to Oahu.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:25 PM
kudzu35
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 for Dominicos. I bought my first one there.

another +1 for Cycle City, they were awesome guys and crated my bike for me. Told me when it was boxed and when the guys who picked it up came for it.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:33 PM
kudzu35
Road Master

Originally Posted by marinepilot81

seriously, they were selling a USED Sportster for 13,500 bucks. MSRP on that bike NEW is 10k. Seriously, brah?

The bottom line is that Hawaiian businesses have the "where else you go, brah? You on an island!" attitude and it's represented at the HD dealer
That's true for almost all businesses in the state. Hell, gallons of milk cost more than gas. They sell used bikes way above what you would pay for on the mainland because they know they'll sell them. They won't move them until they do and chances are good they'll sell them anyway. Enough GIs, dumb tourists, and others who'll buy a Harley at whatever price the dealers have to move the bikes.

Get it mainland and ship it. There are a few custom bike shops downtown but they are almost all Jap bike specialty shops. But if they can do an EFI tune then they can probably hook you up. I would be lying if I said I remembered names or their reputation.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:10 AM
marinepilot81
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

They sell used bikes way above what you would pay for on the mainland because they know they'll sell them.
Yup, that's Hawaiian hospitality for ya. Oh, they STILL charge extra delivery fees on top of prices above MSRP. South Seas Waipahu quoted my friend 22k OTD on a on a 2009 Crossbones....in 2010.

The Hawaiian's have a pathetic customer service industry...including Harleys.

Even Pro Street Motorcycles (supposedly the best indy mechanics on the island) blew me off. They were "too busy" to answer questions about a 113 build. I'm NEVER too busy to make 6k.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:12 AM
kudzu35
Road Master

On the note of EFI builds on Oahu. Cycle City just emailed me an offer for 103" builds. Not sure if that includes dyno.

I had to unsubscribe of course... haven't lived there in 4 years.