Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about new handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:15 PM
luv_my_harley
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just needed to know if I needed new cables/wires toastman, you don't have to go all sexist pissed off on me.

I'm not going to install them, harley will or my husband, I just wanted to check out prices and designs! God forgive me for asking a question and trying to learn something.

Longhair, if I call harley and ask for an undercable bra I bet they would know what I am talking about!

Old 07-10-2010, 08:31 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by luv_my_harley
I just needed to know if I needed new cables/wires toastman, you don't have to go all sexist pissed off on me.

I'm not going to install them, harley will or my husband, I just wanted to check out prices and designs! God forgive me for asking a question and trying to learn something.

Longhair, if I call harley and ask for an undercable bra I bet they would know what I am talking about!
LMAO! Yes ma'am, they probably would.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:04 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Too funny

So my question for luv my harley...
Did you get the info you needed to pick some bars or just a hard time?? I am being serious. Sometimes it may be best to just Instant message a reliable HD member for info. Sometimes these threads go way off topic real fast. I love the fact that Harleys can be fitted to many different people,but I do try and stay away from the dealership for bolt ons as your dollar will go wayyyyy farther with aftermarket stuff. Especially drag Specialties which are readily available almost anywhere. If you are needing bars that are any lower than your stock bars than wiring and cables will not be needed for drag bars. Do you twist your own wrenches or have anyone other than the dealership to help you?

Old 07-10-2010, 09:13 PM
luv_my_harley
Road Master

Originally Posted by parts eeter
So my question for luv my harley...
Did you get the info you needed to pick some bars or just a hard time?? I am being serious. Sometimes it may be best to just Instant message a reliable HD member for info. Sometimes these threads go way off topic real fast. I love the fact that Harleys can be fitted to many different people,but I do try and stay away from the dealership for bolt ons as your dollar will go wayyyyy farther with aftermarket stuff. Especially drag Specialties which are readily available almost anywhere. If you are needing bars that are any lower than your stock bars than wiring and cables will not be needed for drag bars. Do you twist your own wrenches or have anyone other than the dealership to help you?
I like to get everyone's opinions, sometimes that means getting a-holes. I do like aftermarket products as well because HD only has some stuff not as much to choose from. I have found some bars I like, I just don't know which ones. Buying online is so hard because if they pull back too far I'm going to have problems. I only need 2 or 3 inches of pullback and I will be fine, so I think I know what want. If it's just bars then that's easy but if it's cables and wires that gets more difficult.

I used to do my own work until I screwed too many things up and got pissed about it. Now I have the husband do it. I watch while he does it but I just don't have that mechanical ability in me to do things to the harley, I don't know enough yet but I am learning.

These are the bars I really like http://www.wild1inc.com/500j.html so I need a bit to think it through and make sure that's a good decision. Will I need new wires/cables for those bars? Cause they are higher and longer...I think.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:47 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Details

So if I have this correct you have a 6 inch riser bar setup with no pullback.. Correct?

If thats the case and you are wanting these bars just for the pullback then I would say all of your wiring and cables will fit properly. A call to the manufacturer helps sometimes to confirm this, if you want additional opinions.

Here is my thoughts on pullback bars. I have a friend who has the same model bike I have and he has Pullback bars on his bars versus my non pullback bars. The pullback type bar he has is a much more back friendly riding position than mine. My non pullback bars I like for the aggressive attack type position that I was accustomed to on sportbikes. His bike also had a deep bucket type seat that had nice back support,so when I sat on his bike it felt very laidback and comfy as opposed to my straight riser lapera upfront barebones setup which is more performance oriented.

So basically I am saying that the difference in having straight risers as opposed to pullback risers is the pullbacks are way more natural positioning and probably going to fix your back soreness on the long haul. Hope that helps you, and those bars you want look identical to his and they do look very sharp and appropriate on your bike. They have my vote. I have considered them for my bike as well. Post pics when you get them done, or drop me a PM so I can see them once you get them installed.

Last edited by parts eeter; 07-10-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:26 AM
luv_my_harley
Road Master

I will when I get them but I may wait until this winter...I'm kind of tired of doing things to the bike, I just want to ride it!!! I will get them soon though and send you pics. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:34 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Good deal

Yeah , I am all about riding for now. I have to get some new tires,and I am contemplating a new seat. No real mods in the future. I love my bike..

Old 07-11-2010, 12:41 AM
luv_my_harley
Road Master

What bike do you have?

Old 07-11-2010, 02:11 AM
HDMarkyB
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A related question: Will the 2010 Wide Glide bars fit the Fat Bob? If so, anyone with them can you tell me if they are more comfortable? I too suffer from some lower back issues on my Fat Bob. I'd think the Glide bars would be a tad taller and a little more pullback? I only need a little to sit me up a bit straighter. Anyone who has done this please let me know what you think! Maybe we can trade handlebars Luv!!!

Old 07-11-2010, 10:09 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by luv_my_harley
I only need 2 or 3 inches of pullback and I will be fine, so I think I know what want. If it's just bars then that's easy but if it's cables and wires that gets more difficult.

These are the bars I really like http://www.wild1inc.com/500j.html so I need a bit to think it through and make sure that's a good decision. Will I need new wires/cables for those bars? Cause they are higher and longer...I think.
The wild1 500 will give more pullback yet they will also be lower as well. Handlebar fit is as much height as well as pullback. If you want to keep your same height and have more pullback you may want the 8" wild1 bars. The 6" 500's might be too low so even if the pullback is better, you may end up still too forward due to the height of the bars. I think you will be able to put bothr the 8" or 6" rise wild1 drags without any cable or wiring changes.