Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Fork Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 03:58 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by parts eeter
I am referring to using standard height appropriate springs for my weight and thicker oil. I am also asking for differences between just doing this and as opposed to adding emulators. Can anybody shed light on this for me?
Check the Amsoil website where they convert the H-D fork oil p/n to the Amsoil p/n - but, I believe the Dynas are 10W. I was planning on using Amsoil synthetic 10W fork oil.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:13 PM
flyscoal77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put in the progressive springs up front. I really like them, works great with the 418's in the rear. You can adjust the pvc spacer to lower or raise the front end. Not rocket science just go to home depot. If you put the stock springs beside the progressives, you can see the difference in quality. Like comparing apples to oranges.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:17 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by flyscoal77
I put in the progressive springs up front. I really like them, works great with the 418's in the rear. You can adjust the pvc spacer to lower or raise the front end. Not rocket science just go to home depot. If you put the stock springs beside the progressives, you can see the difference in quality. Like comparing apples to oranges.
OK, I looked it up. The Dyna shop manual calls for H-D Type "E," which crosses to Amsoil 'Shock Therapy 10W.'

flyscoal - I am not looking to raise or lower the front end. What is a good starting point for the PVC spacer length? How many times did you have to take off the fork nuts and adjust the length of the spacers? Where did you find a 1 3/8" socket for the nuts?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:36 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hmmm..

OK, So I have been looking at the fork blowup in my service manual,and no wonder these forks are so crappy. There isnt even any valving from the factory!! No wonder the emulators are so popular. Looks like I am gonna be buying the Race Tech kit complete with the valving setup or emulators as some call them.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:48 AM
flyscoal77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

flyscoal - I am not looking to raise or lower the front end. What is a good starting point for the PVC spacer length? How many times did you have to take off the fork nuts and adjust the length of the spacers? Where did you find a 1 3/8" socket for the nuts?[/QUOTE]

I don't remember the PVC length (ballpark 6") but when you take the cap off (just use a big crescent wrench and put a plastic bag over the nut so you don't scratch it) be very careful because the sh%t is under lots of pressure. I actually cut my hand pretty good when the stock steel spacer came flying out and I tried to apply pressure to the nut to keep everything from launching. Wear some leather gloves and make sure you aren't standing over a drain where you can loose something.

Once you have the stock spring and spacer out you can just compare it to the new spring length and cut an appropriate length of pvc. Progressive supplies the PVC spacer which you just install as is unless you want to lower the front end, you just cut it as required. This is a really easy job but PLEASE cover you bike with something thick that will protect it from flying fork nuts!!! I used Screamin Eagle Race oil, the thick stuff.

As a side note the nut was fairly easy to put back on because the progressive spring was designed to be softer at the top end and nice and firm at the bottom. Sounds worse than it is just do it and you will be happy.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:52 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Try going to Sears for the socket, that's where i got mine.

Last edited by 8541hog; 07-15-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:57 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by harley_jeff
I ordered the Works spring kit. Couple of questions -

- what big *** wrench did you use for the fork nuts?
- what fork oil did you use? The shop manual calls out HDxxxxxx; doesn't say 10W or whatever
- what did you do about the pre-load spacer? Did you use the PVC tube that came with the kit, if so, what is a good starting length to trim it to?
The big *** wrench you need is a 35mm - which of course in typical Harley fashion is a size that doesn't commonly come in any set and pretty much has to be special ordered (at lease around here) - I got a 35mm socket for a 3/4" driver from my brother-in-law who is a heavy duty mechanic; no idea where he got it though (tool truck probably) cuz I couldn't find one anywhere - Sears makes em but they are a special order..... you could always just put a rag on the nut (to keep it from getting scratched) and use a crescent wrench though; just be careful if you are not using a socket cuz it'll be harder to keep everything from flying out when you undo the caps. You definitely need to have the front end off the ground or the tension will be too much. There is no need for torque specs when you tighten em back up cuz they just bottom out.

I used the progressive drop-in kit so didn't have to change out the oil or anything; just pull the old springs and spacer and replace em with the ones that came in the kit. The spacer comes 3" for stock height; if you cut it to 2" you lower it an inch; if you cut it to 1" you lower it 2" and so on........ 15 minute job including putting the bike up on the lift and trimming the spacers. The ride is WAAAAY better than the stock setup. Steering is quicker and front end dive on braking is much improved. It is stiffer but what can you do?

Last edited by CRF; 07-15-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Progressive springs but looking into Ohlins new 30mm cartridges.
I'm in the same queue! Like you Ohlins already on the rear, seems only natural....

Old 07-15-2010, 02:20 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fork oil measuring technique

Can I just measure oz or ml in a ratio rite cup (measuring cup) and just dump in the proper amount without measuring the height in the fork?? I dont want to buy a gauge for a job I will rarely do. I will be using the Race Tech valves and springs. I have heard forks need a slightly less amount with the emulators or valves installed...

Old 07-15-2010, 02:28 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

You don't need to buy one, just make one out of a 1/8" dowel rod, or old car dipstick, or whatever, not sure if you can use the OZ method since you are changing springs, what do the spring instructions tell you? Do they give you a quantity or just tell you to measure?

Last edited by 8541hog; 07-15-2010 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Front Fork Springs?