Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:42 AM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeez, even in the People's Republic of New Jersey they don't smog test motorcycles. I would never have guessed that Arizona did.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:01 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Arizona... tough on illegals. Tougher on emissions.

LMAO

Old 07-09-2010, 10:58 AM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by turbostang
It's just Phoenix Metro, and it's going away. Tucson used to as well.
Yep, technically it's just Maricopa County. They are supposed to do away with emissions testing soon, but I haven't seen a firm date yet.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:17 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Wait...the more I think about this the more it bothers me on a number of levels.

A) the fact they test motorcycles for emissions is a joke.

B) Are you telling me your bike was the first and only bike to be tuned at that dealer? They failed to mention to you that once tuned it may not pass your states emissions standards and now they want another $150 to detune it? I'd fight with them a little on this.

$300 (?) to tune...they had an idea it would fail emissions...request another $150 to detune to pass emissions. Then they want another $300 (?) to tune it again?

Old 07-09-2010, 12:47 PM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What tuning device do you have? If it was "dyno tuned" the tuner used should have a save feature. I had a custom map for my Bassani but when the pipe cracked I just saved it to my laptop and loaded in a different tune until I can get another.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:55 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanw
What tuning device do you have? If it was "dyno tuned" the tuner used should have a save feature. I had a custom map for my Bassani but when the pipe cracked I just saved it to my laptop and loaded in a different tune until I can get another.
Absolutely!
I can't think of one tuner where the current map can't be saved. Should be able to save the current map and install a stock map in minutes.
CB

Old 07-09-2010, 01:22 PM
pauletich
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Dyno Tune cost $300, I failed emissions and the dealer told me that they would tune it to pass emissions and then put it back to where it is after the Dyno. Its $183 to do this. But look on the bright side, they will ride it to the emission station and that must cost a lot.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:33 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by pauletich
The Dyno Tune cost $300, I failed emissions and the dealer told me that they would tune it to pass emissions and then put it back to where it is after the Dyno. Its $183 to do this. But look on the bright side, they will ride it to the emission station and that must cost a lot.
That explains it right there. They are probably charging 2 hours labor for riding to the station and another hour to load the map, then reload the original map. Probably wont even put it on a dyno

Old 07-09-2010, 01:40 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

and if you don't bring the bike in for emissions testing?

unless you can't register the bike or get it insured without passing emissions, why can't the conversation go like this?

"well we dyno'd the bike but now it won't pass emissions..."

"ok" then get on and ride home.

i'm really not trying to be a smartass, i'm just not clear on how that whole thing works

seems to me like if your bike was already insured, registered, and inspected...why would you ever willingly ride it to the emissions station for testing?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:49 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

Originally Posted by pauletich
What tuner do you have installed on the bike?

Quick Reply: Failed Emissions